Oberheim Matrix 6 function and preset issues.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
madrasputin
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Too many to list. Ask if you want a list of my gear to peruse.
Band: Narcotic Puppeteers

Oberheim Matrix 6 function and preset issues.

Post by madrasputin » Thu May 19, 2011 9:12 pm

Hey all, I've had this Matrix 6 for a while now and had no problems with it. Now when I power it up it sometimes loses power but not all of the power to it. What I mean by that is the screen goes blank and that I can't get any sound out of the keys or make changes with the membrane buttons for presets, editing or anything else. If I power it back up it's fine for a bit usually then blips out again or won't restart at all sometimes. Also somehow about half of the sounds that were presets and my patches have disappeared. It wasn't a human error on my part like erasing them by accident or anything, they just up and disappeared while searching through them one day.

I'm pretty sure that the power issue is that I'm losing my Matrix's transformer possibly? Could it be something else? And then for the presets and user patches disappearing, is that a memory fault or could something else have happened? I've done the factory preset and it didn't bring back the presets that disappeared so I'm kinda wondering what exactly happened. Any help, greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Moog LP/Voyager XL/MS 2000/EMX-1/Z1/Polar TI2/ESQ-1/Matrix 6/Red Square v2/JP-8000/Fender Rhodes Mk 1/Euro Modular/OB-12/Prophet '08 PE/Mod-CB MC-505/Blofeld KB/Accelerator/Juno 106/NI Komplete 8/SK-15/Poly 800 II/XBASE 999/Metasonix D1000/Minitaur

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Oberheim Matrix 6 function and preset issues.

Post by Ashe37 » Fri May 20, 2011 4:07 am

check the battery and power to the cpu section from the PSU.

slippast

Post by slippast » Wed May 25, 2011 5:48 am

I have a Matrix 6r that had similar problems. Run fine for a while, then shut down and restart. I suffered through it for a long time until I finally replaced the capacitors in the power supply. Since then it's been rock solid again. Seems like they used really cheap parts on that line. Replace all of that stuff, including the battery. It'll be about $15 in parts and take an hour of your time (if you're a novice like me) :).

madrasputin
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Too many to list. Ask if you want a list of my gear to peruse.
Band: Narcotic Puppeteers

Post by madrasputin » Wed May 25, 2011 6:53 am

Thanks Ashe and Slippast! It does appear to be the battery and the PSU as well. Good call gentlemen and thanks again! I'll have my Matrix fixed by weeks end!
Moog LP/Voyager XL/MS 2000/EMX-1/Z1/Polar TI2/ESQ-1/Matrix 6/Red Square v2/JP-8000/Fender Rhodes Mk 1/Euro Modular/OB-12/Prophet '08 PE/Mod-CB MC-505/Blofeld KB/Accelerator/Juno 106/NI Komplete 8/SK-15/Poly 800 II/XBASE 999/Metasonix D1000/Minitaur

oldsynth

Post by oldsynth » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:22 pm

Hi, I have an issue with my Matrix 6. A few sounds change whilst the synth is on. For instance, patch 1 has a bass sound that has a low resonance, but without warning, the sound changes slightly. Some other sounds change at the same time but not all of them. Any ideas what might cause this? All other functions are fine. Cheers