TR909 to cubase

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
FX23

TR909 to cubase

Post by FX23 » Mon May 30, 2011 4:54 pm

how do you record a pattern from the tr909 into cubase?

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Re: TR909 to cubase

Post by gcoudert » Mon May 30, 2011 5:24 pm

Audio or MIDI?
GC

RetroSynthAds

Post by RetroSynthAds » Tue May 31, 2011 5:07 am

What a coincidence... I was just trying to hook up my TR909 and sequencer last weekend. If you were trying to record the MIDI notes of a pattern into Cubase, you may have run into the same problem I did.

1. Hooked up MIDI in and out cables between TR909 and Sonar.
2. Put TR909 into slave mode so when I started Sonar, TR909 would slave.
3. Then, I set up a MIDI track in Sonar so that I could record the MIDI output from the TR909 into Sonar.

Tried recording MIDI - nothing. Checked MIDI cables, send channel settings, etc... even used the exact same MIDI cables with an Electribe to make sure notes were getting recorded.

So, I cracked the manual and finally played with the "External Instrument Mode" of the 909 - never had before.

Each pattern of the 909 can record the internal instruments (bass drum, snare, etc), PLUS 16 "external instruments" (ie: there is actually 32 'tracks' of instruments for each pattern). But, what seems to happen (as far as I can tell) is that only the 16 external instruments get pushed through the MIDI out. Internal sounds do not.

I tried both MIDI outputs, thinking maybe one was for the internal sounds, and the other for the external instruments. Nerp.

Can someone else confirm this?

Can you not get the internal instrument MIDI notes of patterns to be sent through the MIDI out?

Stupid MIDI. Well okay - stupid early MIDI drum machines. :D
d**k Martini
If you are bored... check out my blog: http://retrosynthads.blogspot.com

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Tue May 31, 2011 6:33 am

The external is strictly for MIDI, you cant double up and use the real voices aswell. As far as I remember...

Also remember that the MIDI outs, ouput the same information.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!