Roland Juno 106 keeps playing in the background

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Simski

Roland Juno 106 keeps playing in the background

Post by Simski » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:59 am

I have a Juno 106 in a pretty fine condition but it has a problem, the solution to which has been eluding me. No matter what I play or adjust, a tone will be playing in the background. It is not loud but definitely noticeable. Sometimes it changes to whatever note I was playing, sometimes it just stays where it is. It is possible to modulate it through the LFO and VCF but the point of it all is that it is not supposed to be there at all.

If I was recording, I could just block out the passages where it's not supposed to be playing, but in a live setting it is really annoying.

Does anybody know what the problem could be and if so, how to fix it?

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Re: Roland Juno 106 keeps playing in the background

Post by snod_donkey » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:01 am

You have a problem with the vca/vcf chips. It happens to all 106 synths at some point. May be more than 1 down This will tell you the problems

The reason it stays the same is it might just be 1 module gone down. The way the Juno works is it steps through each voice as a new key is pressed. If you hit a key and it "sticks" play each key above it one at a time and after 6 notes the sound will then change to the new note and hang

Simski

Re: Roland Juno 106 keeps playing in the background

Post by Simski » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks a lot! I did the test and it seems that everytime Voice 3 is playing, the note hangs at that position. So a chip needs replacing - is it something you could do yourself or do I need a wizard for this repair?