Patch related question

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Freejack

Patch related question

Post by Freejack » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:25 am

Okay, I'm aware that this is probably a total noob question, but at this point it's getting irritating and I just need a straight answer from someone knowledgeable. I ended up finding an Alesis Micron for a very reasonable price and have ordered it. That aside, I understand that downloading patches and getting them into one's synth is quite common. My question is, what the h**l do I need in order to do that? I know I need to connect the synth to the computer via the MIDI port (?).

Do I need an interface with a MIDI port? Or does just a MIDI to USB cable work for transferring these files (isn't it the same in essence for these purposes)? If so, do I need anything else for this process?

Again, I'm aware that this is a noob question, It's just that I've been searching online a while for what should be a quick answer but haven't been able to find a concrete one. I appreciate a decent answer very much. Thanks.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Re: Patch related question

Post by silikon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:29 am

I'm not feeling too cantankerous; otherwise I would tell you to RTFM.

I believe this post should help you along (from the yahoo Ion_Micron Group)
Infoz.

Depending on the OS of your machine, you'll need software that will do sysex dumping and whatnot.

On my Mac, I use sysex librarian. Works like a champ on plenty. I don't do windows... (but that post has a program you could use, YMMV)

Yes, if your computer has a midi port (soundcard, etc) then out from your PC to in on your synth. The micron user manual has pretty much all the info on how to select midi channels (if it's necessary)...

Micron info straight from the horses mouth...

(page 102, and 108 specifically)

(a) have midi software capable of doing sysex transfers.
(b) connect micron to MIDI (out from PC to in on Synth)
(c) sysex dump all the presets so you have backups (instructions are in the users manual)
(d) sysex the patch to the micron

...that should be it...
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Freejack

Post by Freejack » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:51 pm

Alright, thank you very much. I appreciate it.

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Post by snod_donkey » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:30 pm

I use midi-ox on windows... easy to use and very good