MOTU Midi Express XT Serial question

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
basic303

MOTU Midi Express XT Serial question

Post by basic303 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:42 pm

So I'm considering buying a a MOTU Midi Express XT to map out all my midi stuff, I plan to just use it to control my hardware with other hardware, I don't intend to use it as a computer to hardware interface. However, I've read that in order to create the specific maps and patches, you need to hook it up to a computer. I've also read horror stories of the old serial versions of the XT not working with anything past Windows 98. Would I be able to set specific maps on the MOTU with a laptop running Vista?
Arsenal: Elektron Machinedrum SPS-1,Roland JX-3P, Yamaha DX7s, Doepfer Dark Energy, Multivox String Machine, Korg DDD-1, Korg M1, Roland MKS-7, 1978 Fender Precision Bass, Upright Bass

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Re: MOTU Midi Express XT Serial question

Post by snod_donkey » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:28 pm

I bought a Midi Express 128 to find it will not work as stand alone without the computer. Well at least i cant get it to work stand alone .......... :?

I use Midi-ox on Windows 7 to do basic routing. Not sure if there is anything better

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: MOTU Midi Express XT Serial question

Post by Altitude » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:44 pm

dont bother. It is not worth hassle. I wrestled with one for a while on XP and it was a suckfest. Just find a dedicated patcher like a DMC MX-8 on ebay (there are like 5 on there right now)