A question to KAWAI SX-210 Users

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
cutoffres

A question to KAWAI SX-210 Users

Post by cutoffres » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:27 pm

Hi,
A question to Kawai SX-210 users :

In the DCO , when the only waveform selected is Square wave and you set PW/PWM to 00 do you have sound ?
Do you only ear the square wave ?
Thanks a lot
Last edited by cutoffres on Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cutoffres

Re: A question to KAWAI SX-210 Users

Post by cutoffres » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:08 pm

A little up ! :) to get a chance to be reviewed by a Kawai SX 210 owner's ;

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Post by snod_donkey » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:48 pm

i am a little unsure what you are asking?? You have several posts going for what looks like the same issue with various comments

When you have only a Square wave selected on a DCO and set PW to 00 what are YOU getting? No sound or sound?

What do you get when you start to turn up from 00 ..... any square or no square at all at any setting?

cutoffres

Post by cutoffres » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:22 am

snod_donkey wrote:What do you get when you start to turn up from 00 ..... any square or no square at all at any setting?
i have NO SOUND

snod_donkey wrote:What do you get when you start to turn up from 00 ..... any square or no square at all at any setting?
i get sound when turn up from 20

So is it normal ? Are you a SX210 user ?
Thanks

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Post by snod_donkey » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:06 am

I had one a while ago and trying to remember what it did............

If when you turn the PW up you hear the square wave is it at a good level? Have you also tried setting the controls to one of the patches in the manual which uses only square wave to see if that patch then works?

If you are hearing square wave then you know that part is working and although i'm not 100% sure i would say turning it to 00 and getting no sound would be normal. I have a Pro one and a Prophet 5 which also has no sound from the square wave when you turn the PW all the way down...... the square sounds "thinner" as you go down to the point its gone.... Its possible thats what yours is doing

Turn the PW up to the point the square sounds its loudest and while holding a note down decrease the value and see if you are getting the same thinning sound.... if yes i would say its working

cutoffres

Post by cutoffres » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:19 am

snod_donkey wrote:If when you turn the PW up you hear the square wave is it at a good level? Have you also tried setting the controls to one of the patches in the manual which uses only square wave to see if that patch then works?
i have try, but on the manual there is only a fex exemples and none has got the square wave with a PW setting les than 40.

Manual indicate that you can have square wave with PW at 00.

So that is why i need help from a user of the kawai sx210.
It should have at least one sx210 user on VSE ? ;)

snod_donkey

Post by snod_donkey » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:34 am

where in the manual does it say to have the setting at 00 ? I have not seen this

I would think it will say to set to 00 with the idea being you then modulate the PW from the lfo... i know i am only guessing but it sounds to me me like it may well be working as it should as there is a point in the PW where you will get no sound.... this is how it works on all synths i have

Also what happens to the square wave when you turn the setting all the way up?

cutoffres

Post by cutoffres » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:42 pm

Please, Do not take this wrong but i need a SX210 user to be sure of the answer.

I've got experience with analog synths and i'm aware some don't sounds with some PW settings... But for this Kawai SX210 and his digital/analog architechture, i'm pretty sure i should ear a suqre wave with a PW setting at 00. So i would need some users to confirm.

In the manual, when the sound can dissapear it explained; for exemple for the VCF filter , page 14 of the manual:
http://www.kawaius-tsd.com/OM/K_SYNTH/SX210.pdf

"further increase will cause the sound to cutoff"...

That is not explained in the DCO section...

However thank you very much for trying to help me :D

snod_donkey

Post by snod_donkey » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:15 pm

no problem, there is nothing in the manual about it

I have explained how to test if it is working or not working from what i said to try...

Good luck

cutoffres

Post by cutoffres » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:55 am

Thanks for the help Snod_donkey

cutoffres

Post by cutoffres » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:00 pm

Thanks to a VSE and SX210 user, we know now that you must hear a square wave with these settings :
square wave ON and PW set to 00.

Hope it will helps.