JX10 loading & dumping patchs via SYSEX.(not working)

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
iphoenix

JX10 loading & dumping patchs via SYSEX.(not working)

Post by iphoenix » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:24 pm

Does anyone have any tips about dumping & loading patches from & into the Roland JX10 ( unmodified) using Mac based librarians ?
I use SYSEX , which works well for all of my synths except for my Emu Ultraproteus & JX10 , apart from the earlier non midi ones.
I have tried various different buffer speeds but could not get it to load or save patches ( nor the Ultraproteus)

I have the MC64 in place with the protect switch set to 'off' & the 'protect' switch on the JX10 set to 'off ', 2 midi cables. Midisport 2x2 . G4 Powerbook 1.6 GHZ. SYSEX librarian.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: JX10 loading & dumping patchs via SYSEX.(not working)

Post by Alex E » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:00 am

The JX10 has painfully incomplete MIDI implementation and there's no way of editing sounds over MIDI. I don't know why Roland rushed the firmware, but they did and it's really a shame.

A guy made an update you can buy, if that helps:
http://www.colinfraser.com/jx10/jx.htm
soundcloud.com/vectron

iphoenix

Post by iphoenix » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:45 am

Thanks AlexE,
Im aware of the Colin Frasier Eprom mod . There is no way I would attempt to install a new Eprom in the JX10, its far too valuable a synth for me to lose if I made a mistake.
Im not interested in using midi for editing sounds on the JX10, as Im totally comfortable with using the alpha wheel / standard method , 1 parameter at a time which Ive been doing since 1993 when I first started programming it.
I wouldnt even be interested in a PG800 at a quarter the prices they go for.

gs

Post by gs » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:39 pm

Be sure to check various MIDI settings in the menu-driven system itself, not just the hardware switches on synth and cartridge. I used to have a JX10 and successfully wrote the patch bank to sysex (and restored back to synth), but it's been a long time and I can't remember the exact steps. Also make sure the MIDI channel is set to 1.

Remember, you can only save/restore entire patch bank dumps, not individual patches (to my knowledge). The rack-mounted equivalent MKS-70 has a better MIDI implementation and allows live sysex editing as well as individual patch saving & retrieval.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

iphoenix

Post by iphoenix » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:28 pm

Thanks gs ,
yeah one day i will get a MKS70 or even a JX8P to back up my JX10.

Do you happen to remember what librarian you used to successfully load & back up your JX10 patches ?

Any chance you might also remember what buffer speeds you used?

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:59 pm

Might try with a different Midi interface if you have one around . I have had the 2X2 fail every synth I have owned at least once at several data speeds too .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:40 pm

Wasn't there some JX10 weirdness where you could only load/dump if you had a patch cart installed?

Ah, the "wild west" days of MIDI... :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

iphoenix

Post by iphoenix » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:17 am

Yeah, the MC64 cartrige needs to be inserted in the JX10, before you can use the sequencer or sysex patch dumping or loading. I have one in place, but still have not managed to make a successful patch bank dump or load.

I have never had a problem with the Midisport since I upgraded the firmware, except for with the Emu Ultraproteus & the JX10, & Im not saying that its the midisport thats at fault. Im sure it isnt.
I dont have another midi interface yet anyway.