Need help with voltage for imported vintage synth

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
elevatoresque

Need help with voltage for imported vintage synth

Post by elevatoresque » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:44 am

Hello!

I'm completely clueless when it comes to voltage/electronics, so I need a little help. I recently obtained a vintage Jen SX-1000 from Europe (I'm in the United States). I have two voltage converters around the house, and figured one of them would work - one is for smaller appliances and the other is for larger. Well, neither of them did. I went to the local Radio Shack and they suggested one of their models, which is exactly one that I already have at home; it was the only converter as such in the store. Before I order one online and find out it doesn't work, I wanted to see if someone could suggest what I might need. I'm attaching a picture of the sticker from the bottom of the synth that was falling off which describes the synth's specs.

Either I need some sort of converter that I don't already have and that can't simply be bought from the store, or the synth itself doesn't work (which is a possibility; I got it extremely cheap and as-is). If someone can help I'd be grateful!

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Need help with voltage for imported vintage synth

Post by kuroichi » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:48 am

You need a step up converter.

It will usually be in the form of a plug extension. It will convert the power output from your us wall socket and allow it to power the European appliance.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

elevatoresque

Post by elevatoresque » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:47 am

Thanks...do you know what kind? The one I have at home is probably too powerful - it gives an electric hum when plugged in. The one I got from the store a while back (the same one recommended to me by the store) doesn't seem to give it enough power - the power light comes on but no sound. (The box recommends it for small appliances like electric razors, etc.) Before I buy one online and pay for it I want to be sure I get the right thing; I also want to be sure the synth even works. Thanks!

visceralvoids
Gear: Access Virus TI - Roland JD990 - Sequential Drumtraks - Novation 61SLmkII

Post by visceralvoids » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:08 am

I was in the same situation when I got my Sequential Drumtraks which was a European version. Took one look at the power cord when I got home and DUH! :lol:

So I got a step-up/step-down converter from Amazon.com - Here's the 100 watt model. They are only 20 bucks. Since your Jen is rated for 20 Watts you will be fine with a 100 watt or 50 watt version, 50 watt would be cheaper. There are instructions inside the box that will tell you everything to get it working.

I have never had any issues running it with the Drumtraks. Just remember to turn both the converter and the synth off when you're done. You're not supposed to plug it into a surge protector, only directly into a wall socket. I accidentally did plug it into a surge protector once during a setup/teardown and nothing happened at all during playing. Wouldn't try that again though.

Also it sucks to have to get one of these everytime one buys a European spec synth, lesson learned. But I hope this helps.

elevatoresque

Post by elevatoresque » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:20 am

Thanks, I'll give that one a try. Hopefully it works; I'm a little afraid that there's a problem with the synth itself, but it was obvious that the converter the store recommended wasn't working at all. Thanks again!

die monster die
Gear: MS10, Monopoly, Synare S3X, Microkorg, DDD1, Prodigy, UpOne, MFB502, Mopho.

Post by die monster die » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:57 pm

Hey,
Did you look inside?
Sometimes the "on" light is plugged to mains 120v/220v. It doesn't mean it's functionnal every time.
Then sockets and fuses reach the pcb with regulated voltages, could one of these be unplugged? Loose? Because of the delivery?
MS10, Monopoly, Synare S3X, Microkorg, DDD1, Prodigy, UpOne, MFB502, Mopho.

elevatoresque

HELP, PLEASER re: issue with imported vintage synth

Post by elevatoresque » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:36 pm

Hi,

I bought the transformer as recommended from Amazon; it is the 100 watt version.

However, I still can't get sound from this synth. The power light will come on, but no sound at all comes out.

So I have two questions:

One is, given the specs of the SX-1000 (which are shown in the picture posted here), what settings should this transformer be on to technically work? (I'm an idiot when it comes to these things, sorry). There are two plug slots on the front of the unit, one which says Output 110v, the other says Output 220v. Which should I be plugged into?

Also, the back of the transformer has a section called Inputvoltage Selector, with little fuse thingy that you can plug into different slots; these slots are: 240v, 220v, 200v, 110v.

I assume a combination of the two - the correct plug in the front and the selector in the back - would make my synth work. It still doesn't work. (The power light comes on, but the power light came on no matter what.)

So which settings should I be on for this transformer to get it to correctly power my synth?

My second and last question is - If I still don't get sound out of this, what should I look for? When it was shipped to me, it was supposedly in working condition, and I don't doubt that too much because obviously if it wasn't he'd have had to eat it. So I assume it is something simple.

So I want to try the correct voltage transformer settings first, if someone could advise me on that, and if that doesn't work, if someone could please tell me what to look for. I'd seriously give someone money if they could help me actually get it working - seriously.

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Post by snod_donkey » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:03 pm

You have 110 volts mains so input on the power unit should be 110 volts - The output should be 220 volts.

The power lamp on the mains switch should then light up ok. If at that point you get no sound the first thing to make sure is you have the front panel settings correct so it will make a sound. Find a patch setting online for a basic test

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:28 am

Try different places aroudn your hose (plugs) - sometimes dodgy rennovated rooms can have dody extension cord plugs that dont provide full power and such things?