Going to Japan, recommend me a store to buy synths

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
thiagozt

Going to Japan, recommend me a store to buy synths

Post by thiagozt » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:00 am

Hey, I am going to Japan on October first for 15 days. I'll spend most of the time in Tokyo and a few days in Kyoto.
Does anyone know any good stores to buy synths? :geek: :geek: :geek:
I saw a few pictures once here at VSE but I can't seem find the thread. Anyway, a couple recommendation on stores to buy synths in Tokyo would be great. Thanks

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: Going to Japan, recommend me a store to buy synths

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:05 am

Five G would be the one you're thinking of, check it out if you can :)

http://www.fiveg.net/
Last edited by Hybrid88 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

mizu
Gear: Casio MA-101 (going to buy a synth to replace that toy keyboard)
Yanagisawa Saxophone

Post by mizu » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:04 am

Hybrid88 wrote:Five G would be the on your thinking of, check it out if you can :)

http://www.fiveg.net/
I went there! The guy who was in charge said I was very young to start synthesizer programming :D

anyways, if your going their why not go here too? http://www.echigoyamusic.com/index.shtml its a little packed up but you should check what you want on the catalog, they sell bunch of vintage synths, for the extreme cheapness its very clean and they give you warranity.

vintage section: http://www.echigoyamusic.com/used/searc ... TE=Vintage

used synth section: http://www.echigoyamusic.com/used/searc ... =Synth-Key

I would be able to assist you, I understand Japanese and English ;)

colmon

Post by colmon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:10 am

Hard Off can be good for synths. they're usually just outside the the main metropolitan areas. if you do a google search for hard off + <name of city> you can find a google map that shows the locations. also really really good for guitar pedals and old digital fx

the good thing about buying used in japan is that stuff gets serviced really well over here so you can find some super clean gear

however to save disappointment i wouldn't come here expecting to find bargains, used prices are pretty much as high as anywhere else in the world

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:20 am

I can only speak for Tokyo here, but I dont imagine Kyoto's brimming with synth stores anyway...

If you go to Five G for anything vintage there can often be a wait involved, as some things are waiting to be serviced etc, so keep that in mind.

Usually Echigoya (I would recommend them) in Shibuya has some decent stuff, thats ready to buy, but as colmon mentioned a lot of the times prices arent much different in a lot of places. Some things can be had for a small saving, but generally prices are pretty much the same as anywhere else. However unlike everywhere else, the condition of a lot of items is usually far better.

One thing that is usually a h**l of a lot cheaper nowadays in Japan are Technics 1210's if thats by any chance something that interests you...

Ive never been to Hard Off, but Ive often heard it mentioned by others. It would be worth checking out if you can get there.

There are plenty of stores for newer synths like Music Vox in Akihabara, but these places are for newer 'non boutique' items so...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

thiagozt

Post by thiagozt » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:05 am

thanks guys, this helps A LOT. Notes taken :) Anyone else?

Ricoche
Gear: All kinds of Yamaha, Roland, and Korg Gear
Band: Jim Atwood

Post by Ricoche » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:51 am

Hi there,

I've been in Japan for over 18 years now and I can fill you in on some of my experiences. Tokyo will likely have everything you have ever dreamed of finding even the Jupiter 8 for example, BUT, you will be dealing with shops and people who know their stuff and will likely have used market pricing or higher. To haggle you will need to know Japanese and have connections. One of the best general used sections I've been to is at a shop called Ishibashi which is located in most major Tokyo city areas around the Yamanote Line. You can check out current used gear they have listed here:

http://ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/

Kyoto "could" actually have some great stuff provided you can find some used shops that sell music gear. I live in Nagano which is similar to Kyoto but without all the tourist stuff. Hard Off is probably one of the BEST used music shops in the outer country areas and I always find fantastic deals there. It's in Japanese but their website and store location info is here:

http://www.hardoff.co.jp/index.php

It's also important to note that I frequent these shops about 2-3 times a week. Half the time I walk away empty handed, but it's the luck and frequency of visits that ultimately help to intercept those great deals. Both Ishibashi and Hard-Off do take credit cards as well.

Also, most major music retail shops do not have a used section and their prices are much higher than online. If you want to get a good idea about retail pricing I suggest searching for a product on Amazon Japan or Rakuten. Those prices are reasonable and most often cheaper than retail stores with newer items. You also if correct may get more money with your dollar due to the exchange rates as well. Not sure.

Good Luck!

Jim

mizu
Yanagisawa Saxophone

Post by mizu » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:07 am

I wouldn't say ishibashi gakki is the best.

Hard off is good, but the service and check ups matter with shops, I always get the small casio keyboards. They have everything cheaper than normal price, I also like their junk corner. They throw in bunch of broken synthesizers, which if you have the knowledge to fix you can. Rack mounts go quite cheap since they aren't used much widely through out Japan.

When you go to Kyoto come to this shop in Osaka, Kyoto and Osaka are close: http://www.implant4.com/synthesizershoptop.htm http://www.implant4.com/UntitledFrameset-2.htm They got odysseys, minimoogs and much more, but they get sold out quite fast. I've never went to the shop its self but its got some pretty nice stuff. Just some synths are really over priced than usual synth market in Japan, and the U.S.

I'd be happy to assist you to translate and show you where they are, I live in Tokyo, so pretty much yeah.

Just be careful when you pay for U.S. customs, when they used to pay for modular synths, they got confused of whether they are instruments or machines.
Last edited by mizu on Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

mizu
Yanagisawa Saxophone

Post by mizu » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:12 am

also don't forget to enjoy the Yamaha DX7 sounds on the JR train lines (Japan railways) station sounds.

colmon

Post by colmon » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:32 am

i always suspected those melodies at the jr stations were made with dx7, thanks for confirming!

colmon

Post by colmon » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:33 am

i live in taito-ku and the 5pm announcement tone sounds just like a dx7 bell patch

mizu
Yanagisawa Saxophone

Post by mizu » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:42 am

colmon wrote:i live in taito-ku and the 5pm announcement tone sounds just like a dx7 bell patch
I live out of the 23 ku in Tokyo but when I ride the chuou line I always hear it.
some clever guy made patch on the yamaha dx7!

also the guy who made the melodies in the stations? is the keyboard player. Clever guy, he also made a train simulator game.

SKINNYPIG

Post by SKINNYPIG » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:08 pm

also don't forget to enjoy the Yamaha DX7 sounds on the JR train lines (Japan railways) station sounds.
Amazing! thanks for that, the DX7 has just shot up in my estimation!

Also check out the 'recycle stores' like '2nd Street'http://www.2ndstreet.jp/ their sometimes good for vintage gear; also photography stuff and video games.

On my last visit Akai S series samplers seemed to be going for pocket change!

Echigoya Music is great but a bit of a minefield; they have tons of very expensive gear just stacked up very high in a very small shop; making it very hard to maneuver without sending stuff crashing to the ground :?

thiagozt

Post by thiagozt » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:54 am

Wow, I just got in Tokyo and went to check to see if there was any new posts. Thanks for the info guys, I will try to figure out how to use the subway first but I have a list of 5 stores I want to go to thanks to you guys :)

Thank you very very much

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:24 pm

thiagozt wrote:Wow, I just got in Tokyo and went to check to see if there was any new posts. Thanks for the info guys, I will try to figure out how to use the subway first but I have a list of 5 stores I want to go to thanks to you guys :)

Thank you very very much
Just buy a Suica card, the machine can display english if you need it. it will make everything easier...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!