Virus C - Robot Voices

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
wpickard

Virus C - Robot Voices

Post by wpickard » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:35 am

Is anyone familiar with creating robot voices through the vocoder on the Access Virus C? We have a very specific application whereby we need to create lots of different robot voices... Nothing more. However, everything has to fit into a rack and we DO NOT have the space for a separate external synthesiser / keyboard.
So I'm wondering if the Access Virus C will allow us to simply use a mic along with the built in vocoder and synth in order to get lots of different robot voices? Or will we need to use a separate external synth (which would be a deal killer for us)...
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: Virus C - Robot Voices

Post by Alex E » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:13 am

Yup, it has 'em.
soundcloud.com/vectron

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:40 pm

I have a virus B and find the vocoder almost has all the same tone no matter what patchs I use on it.A MAM vf-11 afforadble analog rack has a bulit in synth (with less sounds) but vocoder voices go further then on the virus vocoder.Same goes for the Warp factory no synth needed .less different tones then the vf-11 but more robot voice then then the virus.
Living the Electro Life

DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:21 pm

You won't get proper 80's style robot voices out of the Virus.

For some reason the Virus vocoder lacks the clarity...and the words are so muffled you wont understand what the f*$£ is going on (nor will your audience).

Listen to the first sound on this clip its coming from the Korg MS2000. If thats the sort your after then Id recommend something like the MicroKorg - its very small and I think it even comes with an inbuilt microphone for vocoding purposes.

I hope that helps.
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

wpickard

Post by wpickard » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:54 am

thanks for the insight!!

Barely

Post by Barely » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:06 pm

wpickard wrote:Is anyone familiar with creating robot voices through the vocoder on the Access Virus C? We have a very specific application whereby we need to create lots of different robot voices... Nothing more. However, everything has to fit into a rack and we DO NOT have the space for a separate external synthesiser / keyboard.
So I'm wondering if the Access Virus C will allow us to simply use a mic along with the built in vocoder and synth in order to get lots of different robot voices? Or will we need to use a separate external synth (which would be a deal killer for us)...
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
I would also say the Virus is unsuitable for vocoding. I have a TI2, and I love it for many reasons, but vocoding - nah. ;)
I use the microkorg for vocoding a lot, it's cheap, portable, and it sounds really great. The microphone, though, is not very good, you should use it with some better mike. On the software side there's the Logic Vocoder (logic studio 9) or Waldorf Lector.

If it has to be a rack, and money isn't so important, and you want to go for the BIG thing:
A Roland V-synth XT (Not V-Synth) has one of the best sounding vocoders around, though you will have to boot it either in Synth or in Vocoder mode. The vocoder patches will blow your mind. The rest of it, as well :)

Cheers,
Barely.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:18 pm

If you don't mind building your patches on the computer, the Nord Micro Modular will give you a great, classic-sounding vocoder (and a whole lot more) in a very compact package (about the size of a VHS tape, provided you're old enough to remember those ;) ).
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop