Yamaha RY30 MIDI out - what for??

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Yamaha RY30 MIDI out - what for??

Postby shaft9000 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:00 pm

okay all i really want this thing to do is send MIDI clock - being the drummachine it should act as tempo master; however browsing through the manual didn't help me. I've spent 2 hours with this thing and there's NO mention of any use for the MIDI out jack yet - this is rather unbelievable and I figure I have to be missing something here.
they don't even describe a single use for the jack in the MIDI setup examples(all use MIDI In only) given in the manual, and in the Utility/MIDIJob section there is nothing regarding clock-sync except for setting it to Internal or External. I still have no idea if this thing is capable of sending clock, as my FR Revolution is not responding to it like it normally does in MIDI slave mode.
i sure hope Yamaha didn't overlook this in the machine itself - because it sounds ACE.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: Yamaha RY30 MIDI out - what for??

Postby Tidda » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:24 pm

With Yamaha manuals I always look at the MIDI implementation first. It's always very detailed and give a good overview of what you can do with the machine, so from the manual:

page 114, the MIDI implementation chart, says it can send clock signals.
page 113 2-2. transmission data details. 2-2-1. TIMING CLOCK 1111 100 confirms this.
and page 112's chart suggests the SYNC option should be set to INTERNAL for the RY-30 to be the master.

So it's normally capable to do what you want, but other then that the sync option should be set to internal I have no clue why it is not working in your situation.

Tidda
Tidda

Postby billadair » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:48 pm

To transmit the output of the pads when playing manually or to transmit the currently playing song / pattern.

Read the manual around pages 71-73. Most of it is couched in terms of receiving MIDI but it works when sending too.

The channel transmitted on is set as a MIDI job, either globally or by voice.
The notes transmitted are linked to the voices being used by the note tables.
As an extra complication there are multiple mappings (1 to 4) of note to sound.

The RX5 does this too.

The reply is a bit late but I was wondering how to make the drum machine trigger a synth and this is a high result of the search.
billadair

Postby emilmusic » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:11 pm

Hello everyone, first excuse my english, i'm french

I have ASR10 rack drived with my ry30 but the manual doesnt explain for ry30 in midi OUT...
anyone knows how to assign midi channel correctly?
my problem is : i can write sequence, i play the instrument chose on my asr10, but when i want to superpose an other intrument (to play it with the first one) this one play the sequence of the first one, so i can't compose....
i can play only one track

anyone know what i have to do ?

thanks you :)
emilmusic

Return to HELP!