mfb 522 knob too tight

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

mfb 522 knob too tight

Post by edfunction » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:33 pm

hello.
i got new mfb 522 which i love but the volume pot for the snare drum is pretty tight relative to the rest of the knobs. from what i can gather the pots are connected to the pcb board so i'm reluctant to go wild, but i did unscrew th case and noticed that unscrewed it is much looser, i guess it's rubbing agains the top panel somehow. perhaps it will go over time, but if anyone knows a shortcut or has some knowledge please share...
it doesn't bother me in the studio but it's perfect for live use and that pot is going to be a pain, maybe not so much as accidentally switching the box off when i turn the bass drum down. damn my big fingers!

thanks a bunch!

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Re: mfb 522 knob too tight

Post by cornutt » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:42 pm

Look around the sides of the knob and see if it has a set screw in it somewhere. If it does, you can loosen the set screw, pull the knob up a little bit on the shaft so that it doesn't drag on the panel face anymore, and then re-tighten the screw. You will probably need an itty bitty Allen wrench to turn the screw.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: mfb 522 knob too tight

Post by Altitude » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:26 pm

Those are not pots in the traditional sense, those are PCB mounted trimmers with hex adjusters used as knobs, not really an ideal design IMHO. You could open it up, take out the knob part and spray some fader lube, not ideal but it will help