ensoniq ts10 midi hookup instructions

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
808guitarman

ensoniq ts10 midi hookup instructions

Post by 808guitarman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:03 pm

hello everyone,

i am new and this is my first posting. i have an older ensoniq ts10 that i bought back in 1993. over the years i've used it to compose songs, and now i'd like to transfer those songs via the MIDI feature to my computer so i can fine adjust them and eventually burn it onto a cd.

i have downloaded the REAPER music program and it is working as far as recording. it can record sounds through the built in microphone in my laptop. i opened the preferences box, and then went to AUDIO in the drop down menu and 1st went to DEVICE, but could not see the ensoniq listed in the 'Audio System' choices. i next went to the 'MIDI devices' in the drop down menu i see that when i turn on the ensoniq and plug the USB plug into the computer, 'USB Audio Device - Enabled' is now in the menu.

of the MIDI choices on the ensoniq i set it to SEND and it did not work. i then tried SEND/RECV and it also did not transfer any data to my computer.

at first, i had plugged the MIDI cables IN to IN and OUT to OUT, but a person who tried to help me on craigslist told me to plug the IN to the OUT and the OUT to the IN. i found the original instructions from the cables and it also said to hook it up that way. on the ensoniq there is another plug port named THRU.

for my audio driver, i am using a program called ASIO4ALL v2. the 'Enable Inputs' box is checked. SoundMAX Digital Audio 1 and SoundMAX Digital Audio 2 are the only options in both the Input and Output boxes.

does anyone have any knowledge to help me out with this problem? it probably is a simple thing to remedy, but i've been at it for days and days. the REAPER program is still under evaluation and it says that i've been using it for 36 hours so far. that's how many hours i've spent trying various combinations of settings on the ensoniq and on the REAPER program, not to mention the many hours spend reading the online ensoniq ts10 manual.

i'm hoping someone in this forum had/or has this sequencer and knows how to set the MIDI settings so that the data can be sent to a computer

thank you very much

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Re: ensoniq ts10 midi hookup instructions

Post by snod_donkey » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:32 pm

Sorry if this is wrong but if you are trying to record the sounds from the synth to the computer through midi it will not work... no audio data is fed via midi. You will not see the synth in the audio settings on the computer as its not an audio interface

If you are trying to record the sound output from the synth you will have to use the synth audio outputs and feed them into a line input on the computers audio card

r1ch
Gear: Korg Triton 03rw EX800
Roland D50 juno-2 MKS70 MKS50 D110
Ensoniq VFXSD TS10 EPSM ESQM
Yamaha TG77 TX7 CS01II
OB-1
Omnisphere Alchemy FL10 Synths

Re: ensoniq ts10 midi hookup instructions

Post by r1ch » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:33 am

808guitarman wrote:hello everyone,

i am new and this is my first posting. i have an older ensoniq ts10 that i bought back in 1993. over the years i've used it to compose songs, and now i'd like to transfer those songs via the MIDI feature to my computer so i can fine adjust them and eventually burn it onto a cd.

i have downloaded the REAPER music program and it is working as far as recording. it can record sounds through the built in microphone in my laptop. i opened the preferences box, and then went to AUDIO in the drop down menu and 1st went to DEVICE, but could not see the ensoniq listed in the 'Audio System' choices. i next went to the 'MIDI devices' in the drop down menu i see that when i turn on the ensoniq and plug the USB plug into the computer, 'USB Audio Device - Enabled' is now in the menu.

of the MIDI choices on the ensoniq i set it to SEND and it did not work. i then tried SEND/RECV and it also did not transfer any data to my computer.

at first, i had plugged the MIDI cables IN to IN and OUT to OUT, but a person who tried to help me on craigslist told me to plug the IN to the OUT and the OUT to the IN. i found the original instructions from the cables and it also said to hook it up that way. on the ensoniq there is another plug port named THRU.

for my audio driver, i am using a program called ASIO4ALL v2. the 'Enable Inputs' box is checked. SoundMAX Digital Audio 1 and SoundMAX Digital Audio 2 are the only options in both the Input and Output boxes.

does anyone have any knowledge to help me out with this problem? it probably is a simple thing to remedy, but i've been at it for days and days. the REAPER program is still under evaluation and it says that i've been using it for 36 hours so far. that's how many hours i've spent trying various combinations of settings on the ensoniq and on the REAPER program, not to mention the many hours spend reading the online ensoniq ts10 manual.

i'm hoping someone in this forum had/or has this sequencer and knows how to set the MIDI settings so that the data can be sent to a computer

thank you very much
Think of midi on an old keyboard like the old player pianos that used paper rolls with holes punched in them. The computer acts like the paper roll only, the piano makes the sound. Midi is like that, the computer uses midi an tells the TS10 play the C and E keys, then sounds comes out the audio jacks (or the headphone jack). No sound goes through midi. Your computer only tells what notes to play. If you wanted to record audio, you would hook the TS10 to your sound cards audio input jacks, just like you would if you recorded your guitar. Then record that way. The TS10 will never appear in reaper as a sound card or a midi device. Hope that makes sense.