My Roland D50 Keys

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Cwfred

Re: My Roland D50 Keys

Post by Cwfred » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:02 pm

Hi!
I'm resurrecting this old thread as there seems to have been some knowledgeable people here. Hopefully they're still around.
I have recently acquired a used Roland D50. I was able to test it before buying, but sadly I didn't notice during my quick test that the keys are triggering notes twice. Pressing a key triggers the note once, like it should, but when I release the key hard the note triggers again. Playing softly works fine.
Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks for reading!

Sincerely,
Fredrik

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Post by Yekuku » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:11 pm

Hi and welcome aboard Fredrik,
obviously the contacts need cleaning, there is plenty of info about it.
You can use isopropyl alcohol for this task, BUT do not rub hard because the carbon traces can get weakened .
Smooth wipes will do the work ;)
It is all about sharing...

Cwfred

Post by Cwfred » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:40 am

Yes, that was what I suspected. I have looked at some guides, and it looks like something I should be able to do myself, although somewhat time consuming..
Thanks for answering!

- Fred

Cwfred

Post by Cwfred » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:50 am

Hi guys!
It's been a year since I first asked about this, and I have been able to perform the cleaning of the key contacts. However the problem persists, and I am still getting double hits on release of the keys.
Is it possible that there is something else that is causing the problem, or should I just try to clean the contacts again?

Thanks!

- Fred

ʝɵʝɵ
Gear: Roland D-50, U-220, XV-5080, Yamaha AN1x, CS1x, CS6R, TG77, Korg X5DR, Kawai K4, Kurzweil K2500

Post by ʝɵʝɵ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:08 pm

Sometimes things don't quite work out perfectly after the first cleaning session, possibly because new dirt / hair / ... has found its way into the key contacts. I'd try to clean the offending keys again. One time when I cleaned the keys, other keys started to misbehave for this exact reason!

Cwfred

Post by Cwfred » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:08 am

Problem is it’s not just a few offending keys. Every single key is producing double hits in the same way. Could it be another issue I’m experiencing?

- Fred

Cwfred

Post by Cwfred » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:45 pm

Maybe a reset could have some effect? Could it be a software issue?

ʝɵʝɵ
Gear: Roland D-50, U-220, XV-5080, Yamaha AN1x, CS1x, CS6R, TG77, Korg X5DR, Kawai K4, Kurzweil K2500

Post by ʝɵʝɵ » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:57 pm

Sounds unlikely to me, especially given your initial description regarding hard and soft playing styles. It might not be a key contact issue, but definitely something in the area...