Prophet 5 Noise Circuit

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Prophet 5 Noise Circuit

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:59 pm

I hadn't really played around too much with the noise function of my P5 (rev 3.2) until now.

When utilizing the white noise circuit by itself, I'm getting a pulsing signal with it, almost like if the LFO section was leaking voltage. However, no matter what knob I twist, I cannot manipulate the rate of this pulse, nor make it go away.

Is this a problem, or the nature of the beast? My Voyager OS has a nice, pulse free noise circuit.

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Re: Prophet 5 Noise Circuit

Post by snod_donkey » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:02 pm

Well i have just tried my 3.2 with only noise and no modulation and it does have a sort of constant lfo with it... sort of a tick in the sound a bit faster than every second

Never noticed that before so thanks!! Gonna bug me now!

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:54 pm

damn, sorry mang!

at least these two are the same....

anyone else?

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:45 pm

Poking my $0.02 in where I have no business. IIRC, many vintage synths generated noise using a shift register - randon 1's and 0's are clocked in a loop, with feedback to keep things stirred up. But, there IS a periodic repeat of sorts that will sound like a pulse.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Post by snod_donkey » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:47 am

Yep i was thinking its sounding rather digital - most likely based around a MM5837 ic which goes in a loop so that would explain it.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:21 am

rhino wrote:Poking my $0.02 in where I have no business. IIRC, many vintage synths generated noise using a shift register - randon 1's and 0's are clocked in a loop, with feedback to keep things stirred up. But, there IS a periodic repeat of sorts that will sound like a pulse.
I also read this and indeed it is true with the P5, you are hearing the loop
‹‡›

snod_donkey

Post by snod_donkey » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:36 pm

Just checked the circuit and yes there is a 5387 in the noise circuit... that being the case i would say your sound is ok

EdGs
Gear: Prophet 5 and Emulator 1, both are works in progress
Epiphone LesPaul Ace Frehley
Hondo Formula One Vee
Fender Gemini IV

Post by EdGs » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:03 pm

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:52 pm

Sweet, very helpful post indeed, EdGs!

A little beyond my capabilities, but once my techie pal gets my Linndrum all ship shape, I'll see what he can do with this circuit!

snod_donkey

Post by snod_donkey » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:50 am

tomorrowstops wrote:Sweet, very helpful post indeed, EdGs!

A little beyond my capabilities, but once my techie pal gets my Linndrum all ship shape, I'll see what he can do with this circuit!

Nice.. have a p5 and also got a Linndrum last week. Just rebuilt and serviced it too ;)

EdGs
Hondo Formula One Vee
Fender Gemini IV

Post by EdGs » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:34 am

You're welcome! It seems to be a neat mod to do. However, the noise chips in my P5 are not marked MM5837, instead 8119DB. I'm not quite sure what the deal is there. Possibly an upgraded chip or different manufacturer's # for an eqivalent part? Mine's a rev. 3.3 s/n 4992.

snod_donkey

Post by snod_donkey » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:18 am

Noise ic should be U366 and in the service manual is shown as a 5837 but this was a rev 2 i was looking at so it may well have changed later

Just found a later rev manual and it says u427 5837

EdGs
Hondo Formula One Vee
Fender Gemini IV

Post by EdGs » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:52 am

Yeah, the rev.3 tech manual says 5837. But that pic is U427 in my machine. The other noise chip on board 3 (U375)is the same. I could not locate a datasheet for this one either. Definately strange.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:00 pm

snod_donkey wrote:
tomorrowstops wrote:Sweet, very helpful post indeed, EdGs!

Nice.. have a p5 and also got a Linndrum last week. Just rebuilt and serviced it too ;)

shooooot - meaning you are now playing with it? I bought mine non-functioning over a month ago. Turn it on, no lights, no sound (except for the humming xformer). Batteries exploded all over the power supply board. Cleaned it up, replaced the batteries, recapped the power supply, still nothin'. Currently reading about replacing the xformer....

*sigh*

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:51 am

EdGs wrote:Yeah, the rev.3 tech manual says 5837. But that pic is U427 in my machine. The other noise chip on board 3 (U375)is the same. I could not locate a datasheet for this one either. Definately strange.
I have a rev 3.0 and mine says the same thing...

Also did the whole sound check and its quite similar, if not identical to what you all describe as "digital" sounding, in that it seems to have a a pattern.