Juno 106 to Capacitator???? HELP

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
KennaOkoye
Gear: Yamaha PSS-370, Roland Juno 106, Roland D50, Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Fat Strat

Juno 106 to Capacitator???? HELP

Post by KennaOkoye » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:51 pm

Okay the white wire in the picture to what i think is the capacitator came undone. How do I put it back together? I have a soldering gun... I think that's all it needs. I don't trust electrical tape. It looks like the black wire is on already. Help! thanks

In case u don't know what that part is... on the other side of the grey is where the plug from the wall is pluggined into... without that white wire, the board does not power on

gearfixer
Gear: ARP Pro DGX, Avatar, EX 800, RS101, VK-8M, Juno 60, 200a, Fast 5, and Rhodes MK1 stage 73.

Re: Juno 106 to Capacitator???? HELP

Post by gearfixer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:17 pm

Is it April 1 already!

If you are serious yes just solder it back on. ;)

KennaOkoye
Gear: Yamaha PSS-370, Roland Juno 106, Roland D50, Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Fat Strat

Post by KennaOkoye » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:22 pm

lol, what is SO FUNNY!? i never did that before, im scared to mess it up. Does the wire touch the contact before soldering or... I wasn't sure if i needed a specific solder i have 60/40

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Post by snod_donkey » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:25 pm

Just solder it back on but make sure it does not get on the "duck do"

KennaOkoye

Post by KennaOkoye » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:30 pm

snod_donkey wrote:Just solder it back on but make sure it does not get on the "duck do"

what is a duck do???

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:41 pm

So often I have posted: "Take it to a tech..."
But, I'm betting you CAN DO this !

Get the end of the white wire hot with the gun, then melt a little solder onto it.

Put the gun on the terminal where the wire will go and wait for the solder on it to melt.

Keep the gun on the terminal and hold the wire against it until the solder on the wire melts into the solder on the terminal.

Pull the gun away WITHOUT moving the wire or terminal. Let the joint cool for about 10 seconds.

CONGRADULATIONS !! You've repaired a vintage synth !!

EDIT:
Now... If you want to do things like this on a regular basis, go buy a 25-30 watt solder pencil. Then you can begin learning soldering skills.
Doing this right would have involved removing the broken piece of wire from the AC power connector (not a condenser), stripping more insulation from the wire, placing a short piece of heatshrink tubing over the wire (you would probably need to cut the plastic wire tie), wraping the wire thru the hole in the terminal (like the broken end was) then soldering and lastly, sliding the heatshrink tubing back over the solder joint and terminal and heating it.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

KennaOkoye

Post by KennaOkoye » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:34 am

Thank you so much bill! im trying that now.

also you are technically a hill billy :D <-- so many puns in there i cant take it

KennaOkoye

Post by KennaOkoye » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:59 am

Okay it's soldered, took quite a few tries because it kept coming off! it looks very unprofession with solder gob on it :( turn on my juno and it turns on! i scratched a little bit of the board thats on its backside on the lid of the juno, i hope that doesnt cause any harm

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:47 am

Great!
IMHO the first rule of learning to solder well is: The heat must be right. Being able to judge that by sight is a challange at first.
- Confucius

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:06 pm

The 1.1 rule is- it must be mechanically sound before you apply solder. Meaning- the wire should remain connected without any solder. The solder is reinforcement.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:42 pm

madtheory wrote:The 1.1 rule is- it must be mechanically sound before you apply solder. Meaning- the wire should remain connected without any solder. The solder is reinforcement.
Agree 100%, but the correct series of steps (in the edit) might be pushing a newbie too far. Took the chance that in this case, "gobbing" it on would get him going again. Later, he can go to a tech or get in a little practice on some junker.
- Confucius

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:58 pm

rhino wrote:the correct series of steps (in the edit) might be pushing a newbie too far.
Good call. :)

KennaOkoye

Post by KennaOkoye » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:54 pm

YES. Good call LOL

themilford
Gear: Oberheim: OB-8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Yamaha CS-15, Akai AX-60, S612, Moog Taurus 3, Alesis MMT-8, HR-16, Fender Bass IV, Rickenbacker 620/6, Crumar Trilogy
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:43 am

watch a coupla vids or tutorials on soldering. Get a cheap iron, some solder, wire strippers, and some wire nippers (miniature diagonal cutters) and a solder sucker or wick and small needle nose pliers.

I like to use a smidge of tinning flux on a large gauge wire like this to ensure proper flow.

Heat the lug 'til the solder starts to melt, remove the solder with the wick or sucker, remove remaining wire fragment on the lug, you may need to heat it to keep the solder flowing while you do this. Strip back the loose wire enough to attach it to the lug. insert the wire into the hole in the lug (it there is one) and bend/crimp the wire on there so there is a decent mechanical connection. You may use a bit of the flux here if you feel it'll help. Sometime when you wanna get in quick without melting your housing the flux can help solder to flow more quickly. Don't over heat the lug/wire.

Don't blow in it to get it to set faster. Just be still.

I could go into more detail but that's the gist.