How to tune Korg Micro Preset M500

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

How to tune Korg Micro Preset M500

Post by snod_donkey » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Just picked up a Micro Preset m500 but it wants a bit of a tune up

I cant find any set up info on how to set the volts per octave (if thats what it uses) or which trimmers to use.
If i set A to 440 hz and then press a note one or two octaves up or down the scale is not tracking correctly. Looked at the circuits but the quality is so bad i cant work out whats what

Any help would be great...

gearfixer
Gear: ARP Pro DGX, Avatar, EX 800, RS101, VK-8M, Juno 60, 200a, Fast 5, and Rhodes MK1 stage 73.

Re: How to tune Korg Micro Preset M500

Post by gearfixer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:00 pm

snod_donkey wrote:Just picked up a Micro Preset m500 but it wants a bit of a tune up

I cant find any set up info on how to set the volts per octave (if thats what it uses) or which trimmers to use.
If i set A to 440 hz and then press a note one or two octaves up or down the scale is not tracking correctly. Looked at the circuits but the quality is so bad i cant work out whats what

Any help would be great...
PMed

gkmaia

Re: How to tune Korg Micro Preset M500

Post by gkmaia » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:56 am

This is quite an old post, but will see if I can revive it.

I finally finished fixing my M500 and now stumbling on how to tune it. My biggest problem is that I am out of range.

Vr1 seems to be a secondary VCO tune from keyboard
Vr2 tunes the VCO (frequency)
Vr3 tunes the trigger, but also affects frequency
Vr1,2,3 combines intends to tune octave 2"

Vr4 & 5 adjust the white & pink noise volumes

Vr7, 8, 9 & 10 tune the octaves 4,8,16,32 respectively

If I set the Pitch knob to "0" I should be able to by adjusting Vr1,2&3 get a C note on octave 2" close to tune and then use Vr7 to 10 just to fine tune the octaves.

But that is now what happens, even lowering down Vr 1 to 3 I still above a C.

I could change VCO's R27 & 28 to a lower value to force the opamp to a lower pitch but not sure if changing the circuit is the way to go.

What you guys suggest?