Moog LP expression control for filter

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Omniant
Gear: V Synth, Little Phatty, Nord Lead 2, MO 6, Ultranova, VST's
Band: Novelectro

Moog LP expression control for filter

Post by Omniant » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:03 pm

I just purchased an LP.

I'm primarily using my LP for bass, although I do some lead stuff with it as well. I think the primary thing I want to do is be able to control filter cutoff with my foot. I've used the fooger LPF previously as an effect for an electric bass but I'm wondering if I even need to purchase the LPF with the LP. Does it make sense to do this or should I just use an expression pedal from the Filter CV on the LP?

I'm playing a lot of house/trance/d n b so I really want to sweep the filter a lot.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Re: Moog LP expression control for filter

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm

No need for a second filter unless you want one. Just hook up the MP-201 or any other +/-5V CV pedal to the LP's filter jack and sweep away.

Omniant

Post by Omniant » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:12 pm

Thanks guyaguy..

On that note, any suggestions for sturdy expression pedals other than the EP2? I've had a few of them and they always break after a short period of time.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:16 pm

You can use the Moog EP-2 expression pedal with the Little Phatty. Just plug it into the Filter CV jack and it will control the filter cutoff.

A few things to keep in mind - the LP has a VCA stage after the filter (just like most synths), and that VCA is normally "closed" until an envelope signal is sent to it to open it up, when you press a key. However, you can take a spare cable and plug one end into the Gate input on the LP (leave the other end of the cable unplugged) and this will open the VCA to allow sound to pass through. Some vintage synths have a switch to accomplish this "drone mode", but the cable trick works fine. So from there, just turn down both oscillators so you are only hearing the sound of the Audio Input going through the filter. In my experience the audio level tends to be a bit low so it will be useful to have an external mixer or preamp to boost your signal before going into the LP. And it won't work with a direct signal from a bass or guitar (Hi-Z) - you'll need a direct box, a mixer with a Hi-Z input, or a bass with active electronics and a built-in preamp.

Hope that helps.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:47 pm

Omniant wrote:Thanks guyaguy..

On that note, any suggestions for sturdy expression pedals other than the EP2? I've had a few of them and they always break after a short period of time.
Really? I've always heard good things about those.
The DOD FX 17 has CV out and it is pretty robust.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:18 pm

The most important dynamic sound you can get from the MF-101 (MoogerFooger filter) is the result of the built in Envelope Follower. The LP doesn't have a Envelope Follower so the results will not be the same. The LP's Gate input doesn't produce the "Follower" result rather it simply triggers both ADSR's. The results are VERY different and plugging and electric bass into the LP's inputs won't give you the funky sound the 101's ENV Follower will give you!

Cheers!
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

Hair

Post by Hair » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:29 pm

I don't think he wants to put electric bass through the LP, just he's used electrib bass + MF-101 + expression in the past, liked it, and wants to have similar foot control for synth basses?

If that's the case, yeah all you need is an expression pedal, and the synths envelopes can be tweaked to produce relatively similar sounds to the sweeping of the MF-101's envelope follower if you do want something in that neighborhood.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:50 pm

Hair wrote:I don't think he wants to put electric bass through the LP, just he's used electrib bass + MF-101 + expression in the past, liked it, and wants to have similar foot control for synth basses?
Oh I thought
Omniant wrote: I'm primarily using my LP for bass
meant "I use the LP primarily as a bass synth."
No wonder soundxplorer's response confused me.

So which is it, Omniant?

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:56 am

Hair wrote:I don't think he wants to put electric bass through the LP, just he's used electrib bass + MF-101 + expression in the past, liked it, and wants to have similar foot control for synth basses?
He didn't say electrib but rather electric bass. Maybe I'm missing something but these are very different.
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

Omniant

Post by Omniant » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:02 pm

Sorry guys...let me clarify...

I am using my little phatty specifically for bass. I am the bass player. I have used an MF101 with a stringed bass previously and it was quintessential to my setup. Right now I am not playing an actual bass, so any bass playing is coming from the LP. I just want to be able to do those smooth filter sweeps. I'm not looking for an auto wah type of sound or anything like that.

Does that clarify?

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:15 pm

Omniant wrote:Sorry guys...let me clarify...

I am using my little phatty specifically for bass. I am the bass player. I have used an MF101 with a stringed bass previously and it was quintessential to my setup. Right now I am not playing an actual bass, so any bass playing is coming from the LP. I just want to be able to do those smooth filter sweeps. I'm not looking for an auto wah type of sound or anything like that.

Does that clarify?
Yes.
GuyaGuy wrote:No need for a second filter unless you want one. Just hook up the MP-201 or any other +/-5V CV pedal to the LP's filter jack and sweep away.