OBXA Tandulum caps.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
synthparts

Re: OBXA Tandulum caps.

Post by synthparts » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:52 am

rjd2 wrote:2 things:

1- just had my OBXA open, and i'm 99% sure the only tants are in the PSU.

Take another look on the processor boards.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

Skiroy

Post by Skiroy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:28 am

2 questions
1. Where is C1? The manual says C0 is the very first C but it some parts of the tuning procedure it says to push the "transpose down" button so does the reference to C5 it describes in the procedure change? In other words where is C1?

The second C on the keyboard regardless if the transpose button is engaged?
The The second C with Transpose down engaged?
Or the First C on the keyboard when Transpose down is engaged?
And what is the frequency of C1 and C5 the manual refers to in the procedure?

2. Second question. The service manual under the upper and lower control board calibration procedure on page 11,3rd addition, refers to "Pin 7 on IC #64" for the DAC OFFSET ADJUSTMENT. Is this a typo because I cannot find this IC #64 anywhere on my board or in the manuals "Upper and Lower Control Boards" diagram. I only see a #164 and I see a C64 which I assume is a cap.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:30 am

Skiroy wrote:2 questions
1. Where is C1? The manual says C0 is the very first C but it some parts of the tuning procedure it says to push the "transpose down" button so does the reference to C5 it describes in the procedure change? In other words where is C1?

The second C on the keyboard regardless if the transpose button is engaged?
The The second C with Transpose down engaged?
Or the First C on the keyboard when Transpose down is engaged?
And what is the frequency of C1 and C5 the manual refers to in the procedure?

2. Second question. The service manual under the upper and lower control board calibration procedure on page 11,3rd addition, refers to "Pin 7 on IC #64" for the DAC OFFSET ADJUSTMENT. Is this a typo because I cannot find this IC #64 anywhere on my board or in the manuals "Upper and Lower Control Boards" diagram. I only see a #164 and I see a C64 which I assume is a cap.
Welcome to the mess that is the schematics for the OBXa processor boards and calibration procedures.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

Skiroy

Post by Skiroy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:04 am

Does that mean you dont know or you do know and wont tell me?

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:41 am

You're really not going to want to mess with that DAC calibration unless you're 110% certain you can nail the procedure.

The frequency of C1 & C5, are, well, C1 & C5. It's the same. Transpose down would give you C0 on the lowest key to the left.
bonne chance

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:57 am

Skiroy wrote:Does that mean you dont know or you do know and wont tell me?
I googled the frequencies for you:
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-notenames.htm

rjd2

Post by rjd2 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:31 pm

AFAIK, C0-C5 typically refers to the actual, physical key.

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:21 am

The later OB-Xa serial numbers had an upper control board that was changed. I've never seen a schematic for it but yes, IC #64 was removed. Its functions were replaced with IC #166.

To confuse things further, the original manual had a typo for the DAC Full Scale Adjustment procedure where it calls out Pin 9 of IC #64 . It should have been Pin 7 like the other two procedures.

The correct DAC adjustment setup procedure for the late model OB-Xa should be performed with measurements taken at Pin 7 of IC #166.

=======================
"[C1 is] The second C on the keyboard regardless if the transpose button is engaged?

Yes. Per RJD2, note assignment is the physical key for non-midi instruments.

Skiroy

Post by Skiroy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:09 am

scottrod wrote:The later OB-Xa serial numbers had an upper control board that was changed. I've never seen a schematic for it but yes, IC #64 was removed. Its functions were replaced with IC #166.

To confuse things further, the original manual had a typo for the DAC Full Scale Adjustment procedure where it calls out Pin 9 of IC #64 . It should have been Pin 7 like the other two procedures.

The correct DAC adjustment setup procedure for the late model OB-Xa should be performed with measurements taken at Pin 7 of IC #166.

=======================
"[C1 is] The second C on the keyboard regardless if the transpose button is engaged?

Yes. Per RJD2, note assignment is the physical key for non-midi instruments.
Thank You so much.

Skiroy

Post by Skiroy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:12 am

rjd2 wrote:AFAIK, C0-C5 typically refers to the actual, physical key.
It seems I am getting conflicting info. Are you saying C0 is the first C on the keyboard no matter if the transpose button is in the up,middle or down position,according to the service manual?

Skiroy

Post by Skiroy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:25 am

madtheory wrote:
Skiroy wrote:Does that mean you dont know or you do know and wont tell me?
I googled the frequencies for you:
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-notenames.htm
So when it says in the service manual to play C5 with the transpose down button on and tune the initial frequency I am confused still. It explains this on pages 13-14 in the manual attached.

Am I still playing the 5 C on the keyboard but because it is in Transpose down I am actually tuning to C4(Middle C,261.626Hz)?

http://www.lazyblueoctopus.com/oberheim ... nual_3.pdf

And then on page 14 it says to play C3 with C5 to set the Volts per Octave. C3 and C5 is 2 octaves apart not one?

What the h**l?

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:35 am

Skiroy wrote:
rjd2 wrote:AFAIK, C0-C5 typically refers to the actual, physical key.
It seems I am getting conflicting info. Are you saying C0 is the first C on the keyboard no matter if the transpose button is in the up,middle or down position,according to the service manual?
Yes, that is true.

Skiroy

Post by Skiroy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:23 pm

So C5 with the Transpose down engaged, means I am tuning to C4(Middle C aka 261Hz) correct?

And what about the Volts per Octave questions. Why does it say to play C3 with C5 instead of C4 with C5?

rjd2

Post by rjd2 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:57 pm

are you calibrating scale because it sounds out of scale to you, or because you think this is something you should do? its a question worth asking. i am going to tell you right now that if you are planning on tuning the voice cards, and you dont have experience tuning synths, i will bet you $100 that you wont be able to navigate it. the OBXA is the most confusing synth i've ever tuned. if you cant scale it by ear using a 440 tone or a tuner, i strongly encourage you not to do it, as its very easy to throw it even further out of calibration. nothing personal. is the synth at all playable to you right now? or is the output just such an utter cacophony that its completely worthless, as a playable instrument?

Skiroy

Post by Skiroy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:14 pm

rjd2 wrote:are you calibrating scale because it sounds out of scale to you, or because you think this is something you should do? its a question worth asking. i am going to tell you right now that if you are planning on tuning the voice cards, and you dont have experience tuning synths, i will bet you $100 that you wont be able to navigate it. the OBXA is the most confusing synth i've ever tuned. if you cant scale it by ear using a 440 tone or a tuner, i strongly encourage you not to do it, as its very easy to throw it even further out of calibration. nothing personal. is the synth at all playable to you right now? or is the output just such an utter cacophony that its completely worthless, as a playable instrument?
It is not playable enough to justify $2700.00. Really at this point I have nothing to lose to try and tune it because I will not use it sounding like this. If I make it worse I will get it done by a pro anyways.

So my question remains:

So C5 with the Transpose down engaged, means I am tuning to C4(Middle C aka 261Hz) correct?

And what about the Volts per Octave questions. Why does it say to play C3 with C5 instead of C4 with C5?