cabaret voltaire big funk wobble sound

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
princefan3

cabaret voltaire big funk wobble sound

Post by princefan3 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:29 pm

HI Guys need to know how i can create the wobble bass line from this track or what may have been used to do this.
the sound comes in after about 30 seconds into the track..

dont have the link but please you tube it...any feed back would be welcome thankyou.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: cabaret voltaire big funk wobble sound

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:31 pm

At the time they were using the TB-303, Juno 60 and SH-09. They also used a DX-7, and hired a Fairlight (plus an operator) around 1984 on Microphonies but I don't know what else, if anything, they used for sampling till the Emax. I don't know for sure what was used for that sound, but it sounds very much like a variation on a patch they use quite a lot - which will be one of the analogues I've listed above. I suspect the SH or Juno.

Also, it's not a wobble. It's more like the old hi-nrg stuff than 'wobble'. Tsk!

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:42 am

Thanks Nathan..its a quite unusual sound...couldnt get that from my 303 although ive sold it now.

have a sus that its prob a sh09 driven by a seq doing odd timings...

quite funny as the video is of Thassos Greece and the beach is makreamos where i holiday'd last year.

cheers for your help.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:56 am

It's likely there qualities of the sound are as much to do with processing as the patch itself - which I reckon is pretty simple. Sounds like it's been gritted up a bit.

Back in the 90s I used to spend hours trying to copy Cabs patches on my Juno. For some reason I never tried that one! I knew there were certain sounds that wer definitely the 60, as I'd seen a live recording with Richard Kirk tweaking away, Mal on a very, very 80s headless bass... good times.

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:21 pm

Thats interesting...how did you find that you got on with the Juno 60 trying to re create their sound.

did you get the results you wanted.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:54 pm

Mostly. I was listening to a lot of International Language at the time - loads of Juno on there.

I listened again to that bass, and it sounds like a pretty simple patch really - keep the filter low, add some envelope, keep it snappy, and have a little resonance. Square wave on the osc, maybe. Most of the effect of it comes from the sequencing. Kirk used the Juno's own arpeggiator often, triggered from the clock input. It's pretty easy to get these weird timings that way.

Another possibility is that it's been sampled and played back that way, but I didn't really get that impression on a quick run through.

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:59 pm

Thanks Nathan will try it out...have a Novation KS RACK this should do it, what do you think...?