MS10 drone drift

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
die monster die
Gear: MS10, Monopoly, Synare S3X, Microkorg, DDD1, Prodigy, UpOne, MFB502, Mopho.

MS10 drone drift

Post by die monster die » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi,
I lately experienced some tuning drift with my MS10. I used it for drones the other day, patching the wheel to trigger input. The tuning didn't last two minutes. I had to frequently hit the key so it doens't have the time to drift.

I read this on korganalog.net, different method same results.
For steady drones you can patch Kbd Trig Out or ESP Trig Out to Initial Gain (but watch out for oscillator drift, about minus 1 semitone after 20 minutes, i learnt the hard way after recording 7 25 minute drones, and then very unsucessfully trying to put them together in AudioMulch!!!) If you dont want any pitch drift, then use the old sellotape/pen knife on a key trick!
It looks like a known issue.
Is it something that be fixed?
Anyone have stable drones? How?

Thanks.
MS10, Monopoly, Synare S3X, Microkorg, DDD1, Prodigy, UpOne, MFB502, Mopho.

Audity
Gear: Access Virus A, Waldorf Rocket, Alesis Micron, Yamaha DX7, etc. ...circuit bent and modded pieces
Band: (in progress!)

Re: MS10 drone drift

Post by Audity » Mon May 07, 2012 12:54 am

Possibly overkill, possibly brilliance... but I've got an Antares ATR-1 Autotune rack that I'll sometimes slap on my "drifty" synths. They are $300-400 on eBay last I checked, and at modest settings can sound very natural for basic pitch correction.
Just bear in mind they are designed for vocals, so they're not much good on polyphonic or harmonically rich/atonal sources. And place it before any FX because reverbs/delays/etc really confuse it. But they are highly effective at correcting mild drift (within a semitone or 2, depending on whether you're correcting to a musical key or chromatically) on leads, drones, etc...

I'd still encourage you to find a way to fix your MS-10 instead of just a quick fix like I suggested, but let's face it... as collectors, VCO drift on our vintage synths is going to happen and my Antares has been a wonderful quick fix on several recording sessions.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon May 07, 2012 5:21 pm

I never had any problems patching the wheel to initial gain. That way you can just open the VCA. Don't know why you'd want to use the trigger in for drones...? Also, as far as I remember, wasn't that note you quote something about using a linear VCA as a v/oct => hz/v converter, and nothing about just opening the VCA...?

If you use the trigger, make sure EG1 is not engaged on the VCO. Respectively make sure no modulation is active on the VCO.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Tue May 08, 2012 1:14 am

Both my MS-20 and MS-10 hold tune wonderfully, but do drift if I patch the wheel to Initial gain and let it roll. I just figured that's how it is, because the keyboard's CV isn't constantly 'telling' it to play the note.

I just wedge a guitar pick by the key and its all good. Not so easy to do though if its a sharp.

edit: 909 posts! :ugeek:

die monster die
Gear: MS10, Monopoly, Synare S3X, Microkorg, DDD1, Prodigy, UpOne, MFB502, Mopho.

Post by die monster die » Fri May 11, 2012 1:13 pm

monolith wrote:Both my MS-20 and MS-10 hold tune wonderfully, but do drift if I patch the wheel to Initial gain and let it roll. I just figured that's how it is, because the keyboard's CV isn't constantly 'telling' it to play the note.
Exactlly. This is what i needed to know : if mine had a problem that i had to fix or if it is how it is.
monolith wrote:I just wedge a guitar pick by the key and its all good. Not so easy to do though if its a sharp.
I use a small jack cable between keys. Works even though it's not very good looking. ;)

Thanks.