Anyone have the real Korg-Polysix?!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
sylk

Anyone have the real Korg-Polysix?!

Post by sylk » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a track played with the plugin version of the Polysix (Korg Legacy) which I would like to replace with the sound of the real hadware Polysix.
I'm not satisfied with the sound of the plugin version and find really difficult to find someone with the hardware version.

Does someone have the hardware synth whom I can send a midi file and settings. It would be pretty simple since it's a basic 4 bar loop.

Let me know,

Cheers,

Daryl.

James Mandible

Re: Anyone have the real Korg-Polysix?!

Post by James Mandible » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:04 am

Polysixes don't have midi. You'd not only have to find someone with a Polysix, but someone who's got one retrofitted for midi.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:13 am

The person with the MIDI'd PolySix would also need all the patch parameter settings.

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:13 pm

And a decent recording chain. Otherwise you might be better off with the VST anyway...
Monkey business since 2007!

Sexor

Post by Sexor » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:18 pm

A few tips, if you want your VST to sound a bit more like the real thing:

Set the voice count to 6, and disable the "extra unison per voice + detune" parameter.

Set the stereo width of the effects section to 0. Polysixes have mono out.

Sexor

Post by Sexor » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:19 pm

And just be happy with what you have and make music with it.

My Polysix is sitting in a box in a basement with issues I can't afford to fix right now.

slippast

Post by slippast » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:27 am

I have an honest-to-goodness Polysix sitting right here (no midi). I've done fairly in-depth side-by-sides with the Legacy plugin, where I simply set all of the knobs to the same values and started hitting notes. I have to say that the only significant differences with the VSTi is 1) stereo 2) the filter on My Polysix sounds a little brighter - e.g., on the Legacy Polysix set the filter to 6 if the real Polysix is set to 5. Finally, 3) the VCO on the real Polysix sound a bit more random, grainy, whatever.

Honestly, if you recorded the Legacy and told people it was real I think that the majority would believe you, even those who own one. I was really surprised when I started doing the A/B tests.

To summarize, you're not going to get a huge sonic difference from the real thing.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:41 pm

Funny how I immediately thought when I saw the thread title whether someone has a working one with all original components. That would indeed be a surprise :lol:

No midi on mine...
Sexor wrote:My Polysix is sitting in a box in a basement with issues I can't afford to fix right now.
I hope you took out that battery :shock: could destroy your entire KLM367 otherwise (happened with mine, ignored the leaking for too long, then it was too late; works perfectly now with one of the PCB clones though).

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:34 am

I have an all original P6 that still works. :D And it has a midi retrofit! I'm not sure how much more you're going to get out of it than you would from the plugin. They do sound quite similar. And the plugin doesn't have the extra noise.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:37 am

Whoah! I thought everyone just bought cheap knock offs. Didn't know some of y'all owned a genuine Polysix!
bonne chance

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:20 pm

EmptySet wrote:I have an all original P6 that still works. :D And it has a midi retrofit! I'm not sure how much more you're going to get out of it than you would from the plugin. They do sound quite similar. And the plugin doesn't have the extra noise.
Pretty sure my buddy has one too... I think under constant use and not long periods of sitting off they turn out ok.

Sexor

Post by Sexor » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:13 pm

pflosi wrote:Funny how I immediately thought when I saw the thread title whether someone has a working one with all original components. That would indeed be a surprise :lol:

No midi on mine...
Sexor wrote:My Polysix is sitting in a box in a basement with issues I can't afford to fix right now.
I hope you took out that battery :shock: could destroy your entire KLM367 otherwise (happened with mine, ignored the leaking for too long, then it was too late; works perfectly now with one of the PCB clones though).
Haha I'm not completely daft... Battery is out of there since way back :hippie:

It's a power supply problem I think...

But I do appreciate your concern... I've warned a couple of clueless Polysix owners myself ;)

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:55 pm

Ok, good to hear that :) it will go dead sooner or later. Mine worked perfectly for a year, regardless of the battery already leaking when I got it (and I knew that it was, was the first thing I checked, just didn't care as long as it worked... one day some knobs started to act completely crazy. Then it was too late, KLM367 f**k even without really evident leakage. Had to change the whole PCB, just replacing the battery was no cure once it was too late).

So @ milford and emptyset, it has nothing to do with regular usage. The battery will leak sooner or later. I really advice you to replace it before it's too late. The board might still work when it's leaking already.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:04 am

I've had mine for at least five years. Changed the battery and the bushings. Works great, doesn't need MIDI.
Has more of a 70's sound than the typical 80's synth vibe.