Korg Poly 61 Envelopes

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
bendragon
Gear: Novation Launchkey 49, Korg Monologue, Roland TR-8, Roland TB-03, VPROM 2.0, VSDSX, Behringer DeepMind 12

Korg Poly 61 Envelopes

Post by bendragon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:32 pm

I just received my Korg Poly 61 45 mins ago in the post and either I greatly over estimated its envelopes or something is wrong with the release.

I set the release to 15 (highest value) and it was only about 2 seconds of release time. Is it longer than that or is something potentially wrong with my EGs?
Last edited by bendragon on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Don T
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland SH-09, Korg Polysix, Moog Rogue, Realistic MG-1, Paia Fatman, Korg Monotron, and of course, my main instrument: Trumpet!

Re: Korg Poly 61 Envelopes

Post by Don T » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:27 am

bendragon wrote:I just received my Korg Poly 61 45 mins ago in the post and either I greatly over estimated its envelopes or something is wrong with the release.

I set the release to 15 (highest value) and it was only about 2 seconds of release time. Is it longer than that or is something potentially wrong with my EGs?
If they are all misbehaving in the same manner, start looking for battery damage on the CPU board. Same thing happened with a Poly-61 I repaired a little over a year ago, and repairing the CPU board cleared up the problem.

Good luck!
Don Taylor

Master of no trades, practitioner of many.
(Basically, this means I know just enough about a lot of things to get myself in real trouble)

bendragon
Gear: Novation Launchkey 49, Korg Monologue, Roland TR-8, Roland TB-03, VPROM 2.0, VSDSX, Behringer DeepMind 12

Post by bendragon » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Don T wrote:
bendragon wrote:I just received my Korg Poly 61 45 mins ago in the post and either I greatly over estimated its envelopes or something is wrong with the release.

If they are all misbehaving in the same manner, start looking for battery damage on the CPU board. Same thing happened with a Poly-61 I repaired a little over a year ago, and repairing the CPU board cleared up the problem.

Good luck!
The envelopes seemed to have fixed themselves after a day of the keyboard sitting idle on my stand (guess it needed to warm up) - but the battery is in dire need of replacement - it is just starting to leak, but thankfully, not on anything important.

I can't seem to find a suitable replacement 3.6v battery. HOWEVER, I am going to put in a battery holder so I can snap a battery in and out without soldering - but the only batteries I can find that would fit a holder are either the square 9v batteries or round and 6v. Any suggestions?

themilford
Gear: Oberheim: OB-8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Yamaha CS-15, Akai AX-60, S612, Moog Taurus 3, Alesis MMT-8, HR-16, Fender Bass IV, Rickenbacker 620/6, Crumar Trilogy
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 pm

bendragon wrote:
Don T wrote:

Good luck!
The envelopes seemed to have fixed themselves after a day of the keyboard sitting idle on my stand (guess it needed to warm up) - but the battery is in dire need of replacement - it is just starting to leak, but thankfully, not on anything important.

I can't seem to find a suitable replacement 3.6v battery. HOWEVER, I am going to put in a battery holder so I can snap a battery in and out without soldering - but the only batteries I can find that would fit a holder are either the square 9v batteries or round and 6v. Any suggestions?
Any leakage is an issue... get that battery out STAT! You're better off removing it and just benching it 'til you can get the new one in there.

Here's a source:
http://www.syntaur.com/4447.html

fh991586
Gear: Roland D-50 + PG-1000, JP-8080.
Korg Kaossilator, MicroKorg,
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:41 am

As far as I know, it's the same procedure as the Polysix (same type of battery too).
My Poly61M still has its original battery: I open it every month to do a visual check until I can have it fixed.
Available for sale:
-Chamber of Sounds Jupiter III (mk1) & Jupiter T (mk1)
-The Complete DX7- Howard Massey (with original enclosed sounds on soft disks)

fh991586
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:29 pm

I did a quick test on my Poly-61M, and I can get from 17 to 22 seconds with a value of 15 typed in for the release (not all sounds are equally audible with my cheap earphones). So the 2 seconds you get is definitely not normal.
Available for sale:

bendragon

Post by bendragon » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:36 pm

fh991586 wrote:I did a quick test on my Poly-61M, and I can get from 17 to 22 seconds with a value of 15 typed in for the release (not all sounds are equally audible with my cheap earphones). So the 2 seconds you get is definitely not normal.
Just replaced the battery with a rather lovely little arrangement.

3x 1.2Volt NiMH batteries and the memory works! Just typed some gibberish in, saved it, unplugged the synth, carried back up stairs and plugged it all back in and the patch recalled! They're 2000mAh batteries as well, so it'll take a h**l of a long time for them to discharge.

Sadly, even though the memory now works THE INSTRUMENT NO LONGER MAKES ANY SOUND!

Through high-powered headphones at full volume I can hear a hum (I assume its the 50hz AC hum) and it reacts to the pitch bend wheel, but no actual sound from the oscillators when I press a key.

First the envelopes seem odd and now this, I think I need to take it to a professional :(

Unless anyone has any hints or tips they can throw my way - keep in mine I'm not much of an electrician :b

fh991586
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:51 pm

Sorry for you, but professional help is now mandatory.

I'm not a genius in electronics, but there must have been a reason why they didn't put ordinary AA batteries in those synths at the time (besides the weight & storage problems), and even today. :?
Available for sale:

Don T
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland SH-09, Korg Polysix, Moog Rogue, Realistic MG-1, Paia Fatman, Korg Monotron, and of course, my main instrument: Trumpet!

Post by Don T » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:52 pm

bendragon wrote:
Sadly, even though the memory now works THE INSTRUMENT NO LONGER MAKES ANY SOUND!

Through high-powered headphones at full volume I can hear a hum (I assume its the 50hz AC hum) and it reacts to the pitch bend wheel, but no actual sound from the oscillators when I press a key.

First the envelopes seem odd and now this, I think I need to take it to a professional :(

Unless anyone has any hints or tips they can throw my way - keep in mine I'm not much of an electrician :b
Bendragon, before calling it quits, did you reload the factory patch data? The synth won't play anything unless there is some kind of valid patch data in memory.

If you have reloaded the data, check that thin ribbon connector on the right side of the CPU board that connects to the voice board. Try flexing it a bit while playing the synth with the other hand. If it starts making sounds, power the synth down and clean everything you can, both the ribbon and the two sockets. Resolder the pins on the bottom of the connectors on both boards (try to remove old solder first. Do one half the connector completely before doing the other half so it doesn't fall out.). An eraser cleans the ribbon contacts well, just rub WITH the direction of the contacts, not across them.

One Poly-61 I worked on had so much damage from the battery leaking that the fumes caused visible corrosion on the ribbon sockets. I would up having to replace the whole thing, and I used a regular connecor similar to all the others on that board.

Good luck.
Don Taylor

Master of no trades, practitioner of many.
(Basically, this means I know just enough about a lot of things to get myself in real trouble)

bendragon

Post by bendragon » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Don T wrote: Bendragon, before calling it quits, did you reload the factory patch data? The synth won't play anything unless there is some kind of valid patch data in memory.

If you have reloaded the data, check that thin ribbon connector on the right side of the CPU board that connects to the voice board. Try flexing it a bit while playing the synth with the other hand. If it starts making sounds, power the synth down and clean everything you can, both the ribbon and the two sockets. Resolder the pins on the bottom of the connectors on both boards (try to remove old solder first. Do one half the connector completely before doing the other half so it doesn't fall out.). An eraser cleans the ribbon contacts well, just rub WITH the direction of the contacts, not across them.

One Poly-61 I worked on had so much damage from the battery leaking that the fumes caused visible corrosion on the ribbon sockets. I would up having to replace the whole thing, and I used a regular connecor similar to all the others on that board.

Good luck.
The key word there is "valid". I keyed in some gibberish data on patch 11 by altering what nonsense the battery-less memory had spit out - to fully test the new battery back up I copied across ALL 64 memory patches. So every single patch will have unplayable rubbish saved within it. The upside is that I just came back from a meal and drinks with the family and 2.5 hours later the data I keyed in is still there :D
Help a guy out and provide an audio file of the factory patches?

With regards to the ribbon cables, there is no noticeable damage on them. HOWEVER, the thinner of the two cables, its socket on the module/oscillator board is very easily bent backwards and forwards. If the patches don't work then I'm going to suspect a broken pin or pins. I should get loyalty points from Maplin at this rate with all the money I've spent there repairing my JU106 and now this P61 :lol:

fh991586
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:37 am

Available for sale:

bendragon

Post by bendragon » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:25 am

I AM SUCH A MASSIVE IDIOT!

The reason why the keyboard was NOT working was because, when I reassembled it, I had put cables 29 and 30 (that come from the key array) in the wrong way around. Cable 29 was plugged into socket 30 and vice versa.

I'm starting to wonder how I get dressed in the morning.

bendragon

Post by bendragon » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:02 am

On a side note, the release on the envelopes now works as expected. :)

fh991586
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:03 pm

Enjoy! :clap:
Available for sale:

scttcmpbll

Post by scttcmpbll » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:53 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but my Poly 61 is having the same envelope problems mentioned here. The release time only works at 100% if the power is left on for a while. Any idea what the problem could be? Bad capacitor maybe?