Have I broken my mint Juno 60??

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Scottf

Have I broken my mint Juno 60??

Post by Scottf » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi, spent all morning trying to get factory sounds restored on my Juno 60(without success)

my last attempt, I played the tape of sounds on a Tascam 42(mk3),
I still don't know its full workings: while the tape was playing I got reading on the Tascam out meters,
of a very loud signal: both bars completely peaking but yet I had the master channel down..

I decided out of frustration to try once more at reloading these sounds to Juno 60, regardless
..it didn't work BUT NOW...

now with headpones in Juno there is an excessive hum, at even lowest vol. setting(Chours OFF)
, its a bad hum and was not there yesterday!

Now while conected up to Logic via interface, on powering uo the Juno, there is still really scary momentary,
bass like drone but more on the distortion side!

the headphone noise is not audible, while Juno "on" through speakers but there this really annoying click/snap while playing notes like a very short attack problem, but slow the attack its still in there,

this is really scary it's brand new and I paid alot of money for it, these issues were not there before the Tascam played with maxinfg meters into the load of Juno,

is it possible I have caused major problems?

schmidtc

Re: Have I broken my mint Juno 60??

Post by schmidtc » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:08 pm

Even if you did overdrive it, it shouldn't be possible to harm the synth at all this way. Make sure the test tone saving a tape matches the volume and pitch of the tape your trying to load.

Scottf

Post by Scottf » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:18 pm

Ya, a tech here just told me should of been fine, I don't fully understand what you mean by
" Make sure the test tone saving a tape matches the volume and pitch of the tape your trying to load."

i've being given extra advise fro loading from this tascam, for now..
I'm going to leave it powered off for awhile,

I was told there should be some sort of "reset" option, " a combo" of buttons, to restore to factory or something, nothing in PDF? is this true of the 60?-could try that too, was perfect before messing with the tape thing

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:41 pm

Firstly, there is no button-push factory reset on the Juno 60. You have to load via audio.

Secondly, you must start the data playing before pressing Load on the Juno. If you press Load first, it won't work. Make sure the Juno's Memory Protect is Off, play the tape, and hit Load once the simple tone starts but before the complex data tone.

Thirdly, hooking up a tape deck and playing loud signals should not damage your synth at all. I wonder if the hum is caused by something else. My advice in any noise-seeking problem is to isolate each piece of gear and test it, then plug things back together one piece at a time till the hum appears. Might take a while. It could be your tape deck causing the hum, for example, even though the hum is audible on the Juno. Weirder things have happened. Start by eliminating the Juno from the equation by ONLY plugging the Juno into power, and using headphones you know are good. Have nothing else plugged into the Juno at all.

Finally, the best way to save and load patches on the Juno 60 is using a computer or other suitable digital recorder. I load patches in by placing the data file in my DAW, sending it at unity gain via my mixer/interface out to the Juno, and it works every time. Saving is the same - just use unity gain all the way through and it's reliable. If you must use tape, don't use any EQ or compression or limiting or Dolby or anything else - and test levels by starting at the quiet end and working incrementally up the volume scale till it loads OK - then mark the volume with paint or something so you don't have to do it all again.

But just to reiterate - your tape deck should not have damaged the Juno. Something else might, but not audio data. And if you have several things hooked up, ground loops may be the cause of the hum. Don't panic, just be methodical.

Scottf

Post by Scottf » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:32 pm

Thanks Nathan, sound advise, "one" issue was simply the decay all way down, really stupid, I know but that start up
bass distortion sound is still there, going to power things out now and get back in awhile.

cheers

Scottf

Post by Scottf » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:27 pm

still the start up noise?

but got factory A loaded, what are ya meant to do with facotry b?

Scottf

Post by Scottf » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:24 pm

that "noise" is the Juno 60 playing a low bass note on every start up.. is this normal of Juno 60's?

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:36 pm

It shouldn't be playing anything of its own accord, no. How long does it continue? Maybe one of the voices needs calibrating. There's a test routine for the 60 but I can't recall off the top of my head what it is. Could you make a recording of this?

As for the factory sets, A and B were just two alternative sets of sounds. There's no way to have them both in memory at once. Synths often used to come with cassettes of sound banks (or they could be obtained as an accessory). Of course, the best thing to do is program it yourself. My advice is to draw up a patch sheet on paper (or a spreadsheet etc) and keep a written record of your patches too.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:21 am

See if it is just 1 voice by playing a 6-note chord and see which note(s) are stuck on when you release the keys.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:19 pm

Here is a description of the Juno 60 test mode (from retrosound.de). You should be able to find out whether all voices are ok with it.

Scottf

Post by Scottf » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:05 pm

Hey guys,thanks for all the input and help, much appreciated, I'll admit I'm still early/beginner days!

Before using that link to the "test mode" protocol, I did indeed hold a 6 chord, as this was how I tested my 106 when that came. All voices do work, no hanging on release. Then just in case, followed link,
and set in test mode, I can see/hear no problems with the voices at all!

I don't see much point recording as yet because it is def. a lower note playing with the pulse on, at start up.
I've adjusted parameters i.e filter to closed, env. release etc and they all effect this start up note..

tis strange alright..

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:32 pm

So, does this note persist if you don't play anything, or does it fade of its own accord? Does it disappear once you hit a key? Like I said, it would be helpful if you could record an example of it so we can hear what you're talking about.

Scottf

Post by Scottf » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi Nathan, thanks for following up.

-that note does not perist, it fade straight away before playing any other note, very momentrary and
its the "pulse" waveform on(everytime) closing filter, before hand or same with increasing resonance,
HAS an effect on this lower start up sound, so def. a note...i figured out.

here is audio example, I've uploaded:
http://soundcloud.com/scottfitzgerald/j ... lower-note

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:45 pm

Huh. Interesting. So it's at normal volume, as if you played a note, but only happens when you switch on, and is affected by the settings on the panel? Sounds like some little spike is getting onto the trigger of a voice's VCA somewhere - do the envelope settings have any effect?

Scottf

Post by Scottf » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:34 pm

yep, just put release at "longest" and it went on for a good few seconds compared to a short release,
is it def. that overloading the "load" jack for presets, could not of done this.

Like I said, day I got I'm sure I was turning on/off without this but, then, my amp for speakers/interface/daw etc
might not have been started up while powering on the Juno..