Jupiter-4 restoration... thoughts?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
JFunc
Gear: Juno 106, Juno-6, JP-4, A-Juno-2, DX21, CZ-101, 01/Wfd, SY85, X3, XV3080, M1, M3R, D110, MPC1k, S950, Prophecy, Plugiator, TR-8, MFB-522, Volcas

Re: Jupiter-4 restoration... thoughts?

Post by JFunc » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:10 pm

I'm thinking of recapping my JP-4...

I've already done the power supply, and solved the dodgy 'track crack' issue in the control boards. I also desoldered every fader, cleaned it out, re-tensioned it, rebuilt it and measured it again, before resoldering. Took ages, but thoroughly worth it.

What brand of caps did you use, if you don't mind me asking?

ApolloBoy
Gear: Korg ARP Odyssey
Korg Minilogue
Korg Monotron
Korg Volca Beats
Roland Jupiter-4
Roland JX-10
Squier P-Bass
Yamaha CS01
Yamaha CS-10

Re: Jupiter-4 restoration... thoughts?

Post by ApolloBoy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:24 am

JFunc wrote:I'm thinking of recapping my JP-4...

I've already done the power supply, and solved the dodgy 'track crack' issue in the control boards. I also desoldered every fader, cleaned it out, re-tensioned it, rebuilt it and measured it again, before resoldering. Took ages, but thoroughly worth it.

What brand of caps did you use, if you don't mind me asking?
I used a mix of Nichicon and Panasonic caps (FWIW most of the original caps in the JP-4 are Panasonic/Matsushita brand). For mine I splurged a bit and mostly used audio-grade caps, but regular general purpose caps work just fine.
Had: DX7, AX-60, SR-16, Yamaha TQ5, 01/WFD, Juno-106, MG-1, JX-03
Want: OB-6, Prophet 6, Jupiter-6