Midi Routing - Is this possible?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
BerlinRain

Midi Routing - Is this possible?

Post by BerlinRain » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:46 am

Righty,

I'm looking at getting an FM rack synth which is midi controlled but also needs to be connected to my computer so I can use the computer based patch editor.

The keyboard I have is midi capable however only uses USB B to A and doesn't have a Midi out - which the synth needs. It also only has midi out and not midi usb out so I'd need some sort of adapter or a sound card to get it into the computer.

Is there any way I can juggle this using various adapters to avoid having to buy a midi keyboard and a sound card?
And if it's possible, will it give any noticeable latency or anything?

Cheers!
Last edited by BerlinRain on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cgren72

Re: Midi Routing - Is this possible?

Post by cgren72 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:33 pm

what is the keyboard that you are talking about?

Is it a usb midi controller?
If so, you can run it into your DAW and then make the DAWs output your fm synths midi input. and then hook the fm synth up to your editor like normal. If you need a DAW, there are several free ones that would work

BerlinRain

Post by BerlinRain » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:48 pm

cgren72 wrote:what is the keyboard that you are talking about?

Is it a usb midi controller?
If so, you can run it into your DAW and then make the DAWs output your fm synths midi input. and then hook the fm synth up to your editor like normal. If you need a DAW, there are several free ones that would work
Hey - It's a Yamaha PSR e403 :oops: Before I got into synths and that :P
I've used it on Logic and Ableton as a midi input for their software instruments and the keys work - there's a mod wheel and two dials that I'm sure would work if I mapped them I just haven't got round to it.

So I'd run a midi out from an interface into the synth, then then the midi output back into the interface?

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:55 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Open Fruity Loops at the same time as DX manager, make sure they're both sending to the TX, and have your controller keys routed into Fruity Loops, which should then send any key on/off data etc. back out to the TX. Just don't play while sending sysex, it won't work.

This is where I learned. this is copied from my post about it that I made a while back. hopefully you get it sorted out. it works for me. I think nathanscribe explains better than I did

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:15 pm

BerlinRain wrote:So I'd run a midi out from an interface into the synth
Yep.
...then then the midi output back into the interface?
Only if you want the synth to be able to send patch data back to the computer for storage, or if the editing software requires it (some do, some don't).

It's pretty simple once you get your head round it:

Controller keyboard --> computer
Computer (ie. interface) MIDI out --> synth MIDI in

Make sure your software is receiving the keyboard's data. Also make sure your software is sending MIDI out on the same channel that your FM synth is set to receive on.

You may have to arm a MIDI track in your DAW to get it to re-transmit incoming MIDI to the synth, but that depends on how your particular software works. If your editor is standalone, there should be a use guide or readme that explains MIDI setup for it.

BerlinRain

Post by BerlinRain » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:41 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
BerlinRain wrote:So I'd run a midi out from an interface into the synth
Yep.
...then then the midi output back into the interface?
Only if you want the synth to be able to send patch data back to the computer for storage, or if the editing software requires it (some do, some don't).

It's pretty simple once you get your head round it:

Controller keyboard --> computer
Computer (ie. interface) MIDI out --> synth MIDI in

Make sure your software is receiving the keyboard's data. Also make sure your software is sending MIDI out on the same channel that your FM synth is set to receive on.

You may have to arm a MIDI track in your DAW to get it to re-transmit incoming MIDI to the synth, but that depends on how your particular software works. If your editor is standalone, there should be a use guide or readme that explains MIDI setup for it.

Cool stuff! Thanks :)