Korg Poly 800 Sequencing Glitch

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Korg Poly 800 Sequencing Glitch

Post by c-level » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:00 pm

Hey Guys,
Sequencing a Poly800 from Ableton, and after a few minutes of use (and some cue from me, seems to be like, stopping the DAW and RTZ), it seems to put itself into "Dubstep Mode" hahahah that is the Filter starts wobbling as if the Modulation joystick has been pressed down into VCF area. Any ideas whats going on?

cgren72

Re: Korg Poly 800 Sequencing Glitch

Post by cgren72 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:58 pm

I don't think the poly 800 can recieve parameter control messages, so ableton shouldn't be affecting your filter at all, right?
Do you ever play the poly 800 outside of Ableton? I have a problem with my poly 800 that seems pretty common with the poly 800. The joystick doesn't work as it should sometimes. In my case, if I use the joystick, it sometimes sticks and detunes the poly 800. I've been too lazy to look into this further lately, but it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult of a fix. maybe even just some cleaning of contacts in the joystick assembly.
mine simply resets by switching off and back on.

you should play the poly outside of ableton and mess with the joystick a bit and tell what happens. I may be wrong about your program change abilities because the poly 800 mkii has sysex.

which poly do yo you have

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.

Post by c-level » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:16 pm

Just a regular Poly800, and yeah Im not really sending CC's to anything (Tho Im wondering if I might be accidentally, say by duplicating a track to steal its notes, and some automation that may be in its instrument.) so Im wondering whats making the MG -> VCF index change? It seems to do this to ever patch, with the MG at the same speed?

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:07 am

i dont think the poly 800 can read sysex anyway. And thats the way my poly 800 is too, im not sure why this is, but it seems to have to do with the joystick, at least on mine and a few others ive heard of. The lfo will "stick" and also detune the synth when used. For me this lasts until i switch off and back on the synth. Do you use the joystick on yours? I need to start looking for a fix. Ive been putting it off. Even if you dont use the joystick, this could still be the problem. And if its not the problem, it could still be a concern lol

c-level

Post by c-level » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:23 am

yeah i plunk around equally on the poly and my main midi controller. wiggling the joystick doesnt seem to fix it (as it does with the ableton pitchbend glitch, but thats a whole nother story completely) just tryin to see if there is a total fix rather than the on/off and losing the change to a patch here and there...

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:48 pm

no the problem starts for me when i use the joystick. it doesn't get better by using the joystick. I am not thinking that the problem is with ableton.

Play the poly sometime without using ableton or the joystick. Is the problem still there? If no, then use the joystick and see if the problem is triggered by using the joystick. If it is, you may be able to make another post asking how to fix the joystick, or maybe you could just disconnect it. I haven't looked into it for myself yet.

c-level

Post by c-level » Thu May 03, 2012 8:33 pm

hmm now its doing it when i change the rate of a beat repeat in ableton (an effect i dont even use very often...) ableton hardly has an acessable midi interface, so i dont know what on earth it could be sending? thoughts?

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Sun May 06, 2012 12:18 am

My first thought was that parameter 82 - modulation delay- was set to something other than zero, causing the lfo to kick in after whatever time it was set to. But since you say this is happening on every patch, that makes me think something else is wrong. Do you have another sequencer you could test it with that has an event list (sonar, logic, cubase etc.) so you can see what data is in the sequence?