Juno really quiet

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Juno really quiet

Post by madmarkmagee » Tue May 01, 2012 4:35 pm

I have a Juno 106, sure as soon as i got it, it soon developed chip issues and they progressively got worse. So i sidelined it and got around to ordering replacement voice chips. I stuck it under my bed in a case for about two months, (moved it once to vacuum under there and a few other times to get my esq 1 behind it) and was going to take it down to Roland to get the work done. Of course i get it out tonight and the chorus seems to be really loud and the actual synth is super quiet. Also when i turn it up rly high to like 9 with out chorus their seems to be feedback. What do you think it is? Do you think that changing all the VCF/VCA chips will actually fix it. The volume nob still kind of works (it make the noisy chorus louder) but doesn't effect the synth sound much. Don't really want to fork out $250 for the job and still have a broken synth. The chorus has always been a bit noisy but bearable and the voices were loud to.
Last edited by madmarkmagee on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madmarkmagee
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Re: Juno really quiet

Post by madmarkmagee » Tue May 01, 2012 4:37 pm

P.S this is the first time this particular problem has occured. I tried the output levels, didn't do much.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu May 03, 2012 3:20 am

If you're saying that the output level switch on the rear panel has no effect, that suggests to me that the problem is not with the 80017A's. It would be very unusual for all six to go out at once. I'm guessing the problem is in the output circuits on the jack board. Does it sound the same through both output jacks, with the chorus on and off? How about the headphone jack?
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Don T
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland SH-09, Korg Polysix, Moog Rogue, Realistic MG-1, Paia Fatman, Korg Monotron, and of course, my main instrument: Trumpet!

Post by Don T » Sat May 05, 2012 4:12 am

madmarkmagee wrote:I have a Juno 106, sure as soon as i got it, it soon developed chip issues and they progressively got worse. So i sidelined it and got around to ordering replacement voice chips. I stuck it under my bed in a case for about two months, (moved it once to vacuum under there and a few other times to get my esq 1 behind it) and was going to take it down to Roland to get the work done. Of course i get it out tonight and the chorus seems to be really loud and the actual synth is super quiet. Also when i turn it up rly high to like 9 with out chorus their seems to be feedback. What do you think it is? Do you think that changing all the VCF/VCA chips will actually fix it. The volume nob still kind of works (it make the noisy chorus louder) but doesn't effect the synth sound much. Don't really want to fork out $250 for the job and still have a broken synth. The chorus has always been a bit noisy but bearable and the voices were loud to.
Clean all the jacks, input or output, and clean the slide switches on the back of the synth as well. A dirty switching jack on a Roland can ruin your day, even if there isn't a thing wrong with the synth electronically.
Don Taylor

Master of no trades, practitioner of many.
(Basically, this means I know just enough about a lot of things to get myself in real trouble)

madmarkmagee
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Tue May 08, 2012 5:22 am

Yea, Ok guys, thanks for your help, really appreciate it (:

Yea, it sounds the same for the head phone jacks as it does for the left and right outputs...

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Tue May 08, 2012 7:56 am

Is it quiet with the chorus both on and off?

It could be a bad BA662A, that's the final VCA for all voices on the module board. I have one if you need it.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

madmarkmagee
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Thu May 10, 2012 5:40 pm

Hey Synthparts

I am going to take it to Roland and see if they can tell me exactly what is wrong with it. I did kind of move it a bit, to get to other things, so maybe something is lose idk. Do you get much in regard to functioning spare parts? Like if it turns out that some part or another of the Juno 106 is busted, how possible do you think it is to find a replacement? What are the chances that you have it, or could have it in like the next year? Like that part you said you thought could be busted?

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Fri May 11, 2012 2:45 am

I have just about every part for the Juno-106 so let me know what you need (send me an email from my site)...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

madmarkmagee
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Fri May 11, 2012 6:38 am

k

madmarkmagee
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Yea the problem was caused by a corroded jack board. Luckily Roland had one lying around and could put it in. Thanks for your help guys.