Roland MC-500 Seq. woes and general confusion

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
modulator_esp
Gear: some synths, samplers, effects, sequencers and loopers :-)
Band: Modulator ESP

Re: Roland MC-500 Seq. woes and general confusion

Post by modulator_esp » Sat May 05, 2012 9:26 pm

Oh well, didn't see the bit about not having a floppy drive, a USB one shouldn't cost much and might be useful for other stuff
mostly enjoying adventures in sound :)

MasterCProgram
Gear: Korg DW-8000, 2nd Gen Sony Walkman (a.k.a. the 'skipper'), Roland MC 303 (a.k.a. MC Dumpsterbox), Roland MC 500, Eowave Domino, some Yamaha junk.
Band: J.J See / DUMPSTERAC1D

Post by MasterCProgram » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:33 am

Heloooo

As an update: Seller did refund my cash and let me keep the Sequencer so I could toy with it. It's been sitting around until today, when I brought it to a PC repair/donation shop here in town to see if they had a compatible floppy drive to replace it with.

Couple things:
The standard floppy drive installed in most computers is actually about 1-2cm too small, so if I were to put one in there, it would leave quite a considerable "dust gap". I could just close it with some tape or cut some foil and attach it to the bezel, but...
The drive's connectors LOOK normal, but they are upside down, meaning the "1" pin is on the right side, where normally it's on the left. Wouldn't be a problem, but the ribbon cable is both soldered onto the motherboard AND is far too short to twist, so I couldn't even test it with a newer drive.

Couple options: The door "flap" is missing off the drive, so a ton of dust might've gotten in there, I might buy a cleaning diskette and just see if it reads properly after that.
Since I have it and it's just sitting here, I might as well try copying my own floppies.
Last ditch effort would be to find the exact model number of the drive somewhere and replace it with original parts. I doubt there are any floating around, but I haven't given it a good glance yet.

Anything else? I seem to remember someone saying replacing the drive is an easy task... Were you talking about with the same exact drive, or were you thinking another, different one?

newsynthfixx

Post by newsynthfixx » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:26 pm

If you have the MC500 mk1 then a standard PC floppy drive won`t work and the only place Ive seen advertising drives has been Route 66. Maybe see if synthparts.com could help (an ensoniq mirage drive will work in an MC too)

I have a decent service manual in PDF for both Mk1 and Mk2, If you want a copy give us a shout and i`ll e-mail them over

Dave