Roland MC-303 Midi Ch1 Send?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
MasterCProgram
Gear: Korg DW-8000, 2nd Gen Sony Walkman (a.k.a. the 'skipper'), Roland MC 303 (a.k.a. MC Dumpsterbox), Roland MC 500, Eowave Domino, some Yamaha junk.
Band: J.J See / DUMPSTERAC1D

Roland MC-303 Midi Ch1 Send?

Post by MasterCProgram » Sat May 05, 2012 7:52 am

I've recently purchased a Domino from Eowave, (it sounds fantastic, by the way) and have been programming little 303 sequences with my MC-303. The problem with this is that when I do a MIDI send to the Domino, I can only program for the Domino on Part-1 (or P-1) on the 303. I programmed this beautifully acidic song that was making use of Parts 1 -3 for variation, and it seems that the Parts on the 303 send to the MIDI channel corresponding with the part number (for instance, Part 2 on the MC sends to MIDI channel 2). This is a problem, as the Domino doesn't have anything like an "Omni" mode where it listens on all channels.

My question is, is there a way to have all the "Parts" of the MC 303 send on MIDI channel 1? Or do I have to just learn to deal with having all my songs have a boring 4 bar 303 loop?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Roland MC-303 Midi Ch1 Send?

Post by meatballfulton » Sat May 05, 2012 2:16 pm

Isn't the Domino monophonic? It can only play one note at a time anyway!
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

MasterCProgram
Gear: Korg DW-8000, 2nd Gen Sony Walkman (a.k.a. the 'skipper'), Roland MC 303 (a.k.a. MC Dumpsterbox), Roland MC 500, Eowave Domino, some Yamaha junk.

Post by MasterCProgram » Sat May 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Haha, Not at the same time, the 303 has "part mute buttons", so switching between them on the same midi channel to get more 'variety' is what i'm aiming at, not sending a cacophony of notes to it all at once. :? :|

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Sat May 05, 2012 8:22 pm

I understand what you want, I'm just telling you how MIDI and the MC303 works ;) Each part has a fixed MIDI channel, 1-7 for each synth part and 10 for the drums.

If you want to program different lines for your Domino to play, then you should be using multiple patterns for that purpose.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

MasterCProgram

Post by MasterCProgram » Sat May 05, 2012 9:06 pm

I wish I could, to be honest, but whenever you change patterns at the end of another, by default ALL of the Parts in that pattern start un-muted, regardless if I'd had only half of them playing. It's one of the clunkiest things to do, switching from one pattern to another on the MC 303 without having to stop everything.

Which is why I was wondering if I could send more parts than just one to a single MIDI channel, I'm still not seeing how the Domino being monophonic has much to do with playing a single 303 sequence to it at a time, switching between 303 sequences on the same channel should be easy, instead of changing patterns and thereby ruining any sort of 'flow' or what-not I might be having.

If this isn't possible on the 303, is there some way I could run the signal from the 303 to something else that would send all incoming MIDI signals OUT as 1, and then to the Domino?

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Sun May 06, 2012 2:44 pm

MasterCProgram wrote:whenever you change patterns at the end of another, by default ALL of the Parts in that pattern start un-muted
That's not correct, read the manual a bit more because you can store the mutes with a pattern.

MasterCProgram

Post by MasterCProgram » Sun May 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Either way, "some muted" or "none muted" is the same thing when I might have a different set muted by the time I want to change 303 sequences. How, when I program some to be muted, will I know what I will want muted when I start the sequence, especially live? Also, it is correct, because it is the default.

As I'd asked;
If this isn't possible on the 303, is there some way I could run the signal from the 303 to something else that would send all incoming MIDI signals OUT as 1, and then to the Domino?

MasterCProgram

Post by MasterCProgram » Sun May 06, 2012 7:46 pm

This is what my searches have found, I'd need something like this: http://www.microdesignum.cz/obchod/deta ... erger-16-1

Apparently there is a use for these things, people who have MIDI keytars that transmit different channels based on the note range and want to control something older or monophonic.

Does anyone know of one that might be cheaper/available in the U.S.?