Ensoniq ESQ-1 as MIDI controller problems!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
RoboTremulant

Ensoniq ESQ-1 as MIDI controller problems!

Post by RoboTremulant » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:55 am

Hey there!

I've been trying to use my Ensoniq ESQ-1 as a MIDI controller to control my Doepfer Dark Energy, as a keyboard and using the sequencer. My problem is that the Dark Energy doesn't seem to be taking any information from the ESQ-1, I've tried to sync the DE to no avail, and after resetting it to factory presets (channel 1), it still doesn't do anything. I've been setting the ESQ-1 to MIDI channel 1, with Poly mode on, is there anything I'm missing? Perhaps it just needs a service and that there's something wrong with the MIDI circuit?

I'd really like to hear about any problems that have been overcome about MIDI in the ESQ-1, and about how easy or not it is to use this fellow as a MIDI controller!

gs

Re: Ensoniq ESQ-1 as MIDI controller problems!

Post by gs » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:23 pm

Try hooking the ESQ-1 up to something else to see if the problem is indeed the unit and not something else (cable?). A good idea is to hook it up to a PC running MIDI-OX or SendSX, and see what (if any) MIDI messages the ESQ is sending out.

Note that some synths actually have a MIDI Transmit On/Off parameter stuck in there somewhere. This might be the issue.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

man-009
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Man-009

Post by man-009 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:34 pm

check your midi settings on the esq-1. i ran into a same issue using it as a controller years ago. i had the wrong settings on. try some diff settings?

philip

Post by philip » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:17 pm

try to read esq manual