Juno 106 Sysex

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Juno 106 Sysex

Post by madmarkmagee » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:26 pm

I just wondering if any of you guys knew how much parameter control you could record into reaper with a Juno 106 for playback on a 106 with midi. I can get bender movements to work, but that's it. Is it impossible to get more or am I doing something wrong? Thanks heaps
Last edited by madmarkmagee on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Juno 106 Sysex

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:27 pm

http://www.synthzone.com/midi/roland/ju ... tation.htm

this says it should transmit cc's when midi switch is set to "3"
http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/sysex.php

AFAIK reaper should record anything that appears on the midi input and on playback should output it to the midi channel selected. I <3 reaper.

madmarkmagee
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:13 pm

Yea, I've got it set to III and Midi ox is acknowledging sysex slider movements...

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:45 pm

are you getting midi output from reaper at all? are you saying you're getting notes but not sysex? everything I've read was consistent with what I thought, that reaper midi recording is an on/off process. if you're getting everything in, you should be getting everything out. maybe open Reacontrolmidi and see if there's anything you can accomplish in there.

there's reports of problems with OSX in this thread:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=71499

also suggestions for vst based editors (map the controller to the vst, then use the vst output to control the synth)
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... omate.html

did you try using midi yoke with midiox to monitor both the input and the output of reaper?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:03 pm

I remember trying to hook my 106 to the computer and control it with VST's, the parameters didn't really react to the VST signals, they activated but didn't do anything on the actual synth. Maybe I was in the wrong midi mode?

The only thing I accomplished was sending soundbanks to and from the synth and note on/offs.

madmarkmagee
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:15 pm

Thanks for the replies, yea the notes are recording in and the bender moduation is being recorded and can be played back, but the slider movements don't appear to be logged. I definitely have it on III.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:40 pm

The default in Reaper is to NOT record sysex. You need to go into MIDI settings for each device and enable it where you want it.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:59 am

Bitexion wrote:I remember trying to hook my 106 to the computer and control it with VST's, the parameters didn't really react to the VST signals,
The 106 does not conform to the standard Roland format (it was one of Roland's first synths with factory MIDI), so if your VST was trying to generate sysex in that format, that's why it didn't work.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!