shipping to US only, why?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
vvd
Gear: dde, micron, emu romplers

shipping to US only, why?

Post by vvd » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:51 pm

many US sellers don't ship internationally. i don't get why since the buyer pays the shipping anyway. could someone explain this? thanks

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Re: shipping to US only, why?

Post by plikestechno » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:57 pm

Maybe this should be moved to the main forum.

Because it's a hassle. As a Canadian, I used to wonder why too but it is a lot of work and worry and between the post office and paypal it is tougher all the time for sellers.

International buyers always request USPS shipping because it is better and cheaper than UPS and Fedex. But only outside of the States. Inside the US, Fedex and UPS are frequently less expensive and more convenient.

International shipping with full coverage that paypal will accept and that the post office will payout is expensive. Cheaper options like Priority are not actually tracked once they leave the States and are only insured to a certain amount.

International customers frequently ask for low values declared to avoid customs but if something goes wrong file for a full claim through paypal. Which is garbage but happens all the time.

If you ship in the states, the post office will pick up at your house. Internationally, you have to go to the post office with full paper work and there are not a lot of USPS outlets in the States compared to Kinko's, UPS Store etc. So more hassle.

Because of reasons like these, it is way easier for someone to scam you on an international transaction than an in the USA one.

These are only 4 reasons. There are probably 100 that Americans can chime in on.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:06 pm

i've already moved it from the for sale section to here and gave him my two cents on the scenario via PM. thanks for adding yours.

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:07 pm

ok... here's why - years ago i sold a cheapo korg electribe EA1 to some guy in england... i shipped it by USPS international (probably not a good idea) - and he claimed it never showed up at his house - so paypal forced me to refund him... AND the EA1 was gone - i think its possible he took it... but i never had issues like this when dealing w/ normal domestic sales

also... w/ CD album sales... usually the only CDs which dont make it to the customers are international (thanks USPS!)

UPS would probably work better... but the prices start getting so high that no one wants to buy anyway - i tried to ship a gameboy to my friend in norway... $80 didnt seem worth it!

vvd
Gear: dde, micron, emu romplers

Post by vvd » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:31 pm

I understand... I've never shipped anything internationally, but I am also not much of a seller anyway. It's probably same troubles for me :)

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:35 pm

Yeah, what they said. Even I would reconsider shipping outside USA if I was in the States! For non-business transactions (therefore, particulars like you and me), crossing the border is rarely the best alternative: more paperwork, and higher possibilities of things going wrong with less ways to solve problems. Not worth it most of the time... I just don't bother anymore asking sellers about their shipping policies: I only search through eBay.ca, so I only see what's available to me.

Same thing if I had to ship from Canada across the border (USA or else): I would not be happy with it... The profit would have to be really good, or I'd have to know the buyer to do it.

Also, some things just don't ship well: a fully packed keaboard is cumbersome and heavy. Period.
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:36 pm

My 2 cents:
My shipping numbers are small I admit but I had a 100% damage rate from USPS international. (5 of 5) so I said F*&k it.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:45 pm

With the deflated US dollar, I'm happy to pffer worldwide shipping. I've had no issues shipping internationally. I've shipped large synths like Matrix 12 to The Netherlands and CS60 to Italy without incidence. I also know how to pack properly. My girlfriend and I just filmed a video on how to properly pack a 1U rack item after being fed up with idiots that do not know how to pack. That way they don't have to refund the buyer and get stuck with a damaged piece of gear.
[youtube][/youtube]

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:27 am

Because it only takes on dickhead to sour somebody on an experience. I used to ship internationally all the time on this forum until somebody bought an FX unit and proceeded to threaten me with a paypal return when they had not received the item (in Europe) after I had only shipped it 3 days prior (the day after they paid). I don't see that idiot around here anymore, thankfully.

It's also a hassle that involves a bit of paperwork (esp. on expensive items that you would want to insure), and the shipper has little protection or recourse should something go wrong. I'll still gladly ship to upstanding international members of this forum, but the great unwashed? No.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:44 am

Dont forget that unless they pay topnotch postage, they have to wait a long time to get their parcel. Its a nightmare waiting and having nothing more then a tracker that only updates once its out of the US....

I've heard of people waiting about a month for stuff shipped on Ebay.... So I personally stick with selling to and ordering from the 48 states.
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:56 am

I'm a person who lives outside the US and in my experience shipping from the US to here is affordable, quick and hassle-free. I've never had anything go missing, the only delays I've ever experienced have been from ebay sellers who sold things they didn't actually have in stock.

kvnvk

Post by kvnvk » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:56 am

I can understand the hesitancy to ship almost anything internationally these days, although I've been doing it for years without major incident. the only times I had issues were shipping a Boss RE-20 Space Echo pedal to Sweden a few years ago. buyer never received notification that the package was available for pick up at his local post office so after two or three weeks of it sitting unclaimed it was sent back. of course during this time there were some tense moments with the buyer wondering if I had scammed him and both of us thinking it may have been lost in transit once I provided photo documentation of my paperwork. had to re-ship the package and all was fine. also recently shipped a painting to the U.K. and it took nearly a month and a half before it was delivered. nearly $80 for Priority International and what USPS states should take "7-10 days" though there's the disclaimer that's only an estimate and not a guaranteed shipping time.
these days not certain I'd ship anything larger than an effects pedal outside the U.S. unless I was getting a really good offer and had an agreement from the buyer they would pay for the more expensive insured shipping option. though even then there's no guarantee your claim will be paid if either the package goes missing or the buyer says it never arrived. I've read that with USPS it's not enough to have insurance to be safe, you pretty much have to purchase every additional tracking and delivery confirmation option available to have even half a chance of being protected. I think for a lot of people the excessive cost, hassles and risk of international shipping just isn't worth it.

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:06 pm

Because we don't want our synth secrets falling into foreign (read as: commie) hands. It's a matter of national security, you see... :lol:

The truth is, the US isn't always the easiest country to work with when trying to move things across the border. All packages are considered bombs, bio warfare, or drugs until proven otherwise over here. Then there's the cross border scammers that are REALLY difficult to disprove.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:19 pm

I imagine the fact that it's a big enough market on it own, there's no need to get involved with shipping internationally, which can involve issues with customs and hassle. It's different if you live in a small country like me, you have to ship abroad to widen the net, lack of customs in the EU helps. That been said, plenty of UK ebayers and some stores won't even ship to other EU countries, which can be annoying at times, since I live so close. However that's their choice and you have to accept it.

Don T
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland SH-09, Korg Polysix, Moog Rogue, Realistic MG-1, Paia Fatman, Korg Monotron, and of course, my main instrument: Trumpet!

Post by Don T » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:21 pm

For me, unless I know someone outside the U.S. well enough, I no longer ship internationally for two reasons:

1. A lot of stuff I sell are things that I have repaired. If it's a major repair, I offer what basically amounts to a 30-day warranty. Warranty or not, if something goes wrong with the synth/piece of gear on the way to its new home in another country, there's not much I can do about it.

2. I have had buyers get burned by customs in their respective countries. I always put the true value of a piece on what I ship. One time an international buyer bought like $50 in parts from me, it cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $25 to ship, and customs in their country nailed them for an additional $75!
Don Taylor

Master of no trades, practitioner of many.
(Basically, this means I know just enough about a lot of things to get myself in real trouble)