JUNO 106 problem

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
totallyGIO

JUNO 106 problem

Post by totallyGIO » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:34 pm

Hey everyone, new dude here.

Just got a Juno 106 from ebay today, plugged it in and only certain keys work across the keyboard. they're the same across each octave and switch around when i start playing keys..

anyone know what this is?

thanks,
Gio

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: JUNO 106 problem

Post by space6oy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:43 pm

it has dead voice chips. they're notorious for it. just do a search, plenty of info out there about replacing them.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:51 pm

totallyGIO wrote:Hey everyone, new dude here.

Just got a Juno 106 from ebay today, plugged it in and only certain keys work across the keyboard. they're the same across each octave and switch around when i start playing keys..

anyone know what this is?

thanks,
Gio
Oh dear - not another eBay rip off - sounds like you've been had.

It's 100% definitely a failed voice module - they are really notorious for this - as already suggested.

My 106 has suffered 2 out of the 6 modules going bad.

The good news is that there are some superb clones.

The ones I use are by D'Naab:

http://www.analoguerenaissance.com/D80017A/

I highly recommend them.

If you are ok with soldering then you can do it yourself - otherwise a teccy can do it for hopefully not too much.

Follow this test procedure to determine which module has failed:

http://www.analoguerenaissance.com/JUNOTEST/

orlando56
Gear: Prophet 600, MiniKorg 700, Juno 106, Polysix, Little Phatty II SE, Poly 800, MS20 Mini, Behringer D, KARP Odyssey
Band: Squirrel Damage

Post by orlando56 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:47 am

Analogue Renaissance's 80017A clones are indeed excellent. He's pretty backed up at the moment, as I learned when trying to buy some chips from him recently. On his website there's a link to cimplespares in the UK, who stock his clone chips and will ship to the USA and presumably other countries as well. Costs a bit more (depending on the exchange rate), but I contacted them and got the chips within a week. The hardest part is unsoldering the old chips. But if you know they're dead, you can just break 'em off.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:07 am

It if was described as working I'd recommend you get a refund and return it. Depending on how many chips are bad the cost could add up to a lot. If you leave the synth on for several hours you may discover more voices are actually bad.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:56 am

So all the keys work sometimes? Just not all the time? Sounds like the infamous VCA/VCF problem described above.

totallyGIO

Post by totallyGIO » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:18 am

Wow, thanks everyone.

Yea, only 3 or 4 notes will play at a time then they shuffle around on the keyboard..

I'll be so pissed if this dude ripped me off. Spent 1k.
It came with original box and everything, it's FLAWLESS cosmetically,.

Anyone know about refunding thru eBay?
It said 100% working garuntee in the description and 7 day return policy tho..

Thanks!

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:06 am

Contact the seller about the problem and ask for a refund. If the seller doesn't help you to your satisfaction, that's when you file a claim. eBay has your back. The item is broken and not as described, plain and simple.

And just a suggestion, but I don't recommend spending 1k on your next Juno-106. :?
soundcloud.com/vectron

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:47 pm

totallyGIO wrote:Wow, thanks everyone.

Yea, only 3 or 4 notes will play at a time then they shuffle around on the keyboard..

I'll be so pissed if this dude ripped me off. Spent 1k.
It came with original box and everything, it's FLAWLESS cosmetically,.

Anyone know about refunding thru eBay?
It said 100% working garuntee in the description and 7 day return policy tho..

Thanks!
doesnt matter how they look. mine had original box and manual had been in basement for 25 years. near perfect and already had one voice chip die and another seems to be on its way out....

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:49 am

How the synth was stored over the years or how it looks cosmetically has no effect on the failures of the voice chips. Any Juno-106 you're considering buying should be left on in test mode for several hours and all voices checked for filter cutoff, res, vca levels, intermittent crackling noises, and stuck on or silent voices.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:19 pm

Dying voices is one of the most well-known issues with 106's. Mine never had a dead voice, luckily.
I also read somewhere that the voice chips you get from websites and ebay now are not the originals, so the filter may sound brasher when the synth triggers the new voice chip, since the chips contain a complete set of filter, vca, oscillator.

Do a search for Juno-106 voice chip , you'll find replacements. Maybe original ones if you're lucky.
The seller probably didn't even know a voice was dead if it's been in his basement for a decade or more.
He probably inherited it from a relative, turned it on to see if the lights came on, and sold it as 100% working.
Most likely he didn't even have external speakers to plug it into.

That's what happened with my MS-10. Just found an ad for a "Korg MS-20", but the picture was an MS-10. Wrote the guy, he said he'd picked the wrong name from internet. He'd found it in the attic after his dead uncle, turned it on, and there was lights on it. So I bought it cheaply. Turned out the connector between the keyboard and synth was loose inside so it wouldn't play notes from the keys. Easy fix though annoying. Just shows that sometimes resellers are not musicians and have no idea what they're even selling.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:23 pm

Bitexion wrote:Dying voices is one of the most well-known issues with 106's. Mine never had a dead voice, luckily.
I also read somewhere that the voice chips you get from websites and ebay now are not the originals, so the filter may sound brasher when the synth triggers the new voice chip, since the chips contain a complete set of filter, vca, oscillator.
I wouldn't worry about that too much. Last year I fitted a replacement Analoguerenaissance voice chip on a friend's 106, and without wanting to sound too gushy, I think the new chip is superior.

That said, the OP spent rather a lot and has received a unit with a significant fault so I would definitely file a claim. It's not on even if the seller wasn't big on synths.

Floss

Post by Floss » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:42 am

How does one know if voice chips are fakes or original?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:55 am

http://www.analoguerenaissance.com/D80017A/

I think this is what you're looking for.
"Sounds exactly the same as the original. I'm very serious about this and I'm well aware that I am the only one that claims this. This is not without a reason. No one is able to hear nor measure any difference with the original chips."

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:58 pm

1k for a 106 with dead chips! :o :shock:

I'd certainly try to get a refund.

If you decide not to, or if you get a good enough partial refund, I'd replace all chips at once. Analoguerenaissance gives you six chips for the cost of five, and the originals are all bound to break sooner or later...

Apart from that, a mate of mine has installed Analoguerenaissance chips into a 106 of another mate and none of us were able to hear any difference at all (we checked when only the dead chips - three of them IIRC - were replaced, but went on to just install all six new ones after the comparison).