How to connect an old sequencer to an old synth (MIDI)

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
clegg

How to connect an old sequencer to an old synth (MIDI)

Post by clegg » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:32 am

Sequencer is a Roland MC-500 and the synth is a Roland JX-3P

I'm MIDI illiterate. All I want to do is record some sequences from my synth to this sequencer so I can play it back during live shows with my band. Reason I purchased this sequencer is cause it's simple, and it was cheap.
Can anyone please explain to me how to get these two items working together?

I was hoping this would have been simple enough to do.

A couple of questions:
From my understanding, in order for this to work, the SYNTH out should go to the SEQ in. Good so far?
When MIDI is connected, should the 1/4" jack that would be connected to the PA (or amp in my case) be going from the output of the synth or the sequencer?
So far I put my synth in midi mode, and put the out of the synth to the in of the sequencer. Sequencer doesn't seem to be seeing the synth and if I put my headphones on the output of the sequencer I get no sound (I do from the synth though). I can't record any sequences.

There's so much info on MIDI out there, for more complex type systems that I have no idea where to start. If someone can just clear this up for me I'd be forever grateful.
Last edited by clegg on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: How to connect an old sequencer to an old synth (MIDI)

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:11 am

Midi isn't audio, so you're not going to get any audio from the sequencer. I'm not sure what 1/4" socket you're plugging things into, the MC-500 doesn't have an audio out.

Plug the synth out to the sequencer in and the sequencer out to the synth in. Record the midi then hit play on the sequencer to have the the sequencer play back. The midi from the sequencer will do the work your fingers normally do of playing the synth, and the audio will come out the synth as usual. You may want to turn midi local off on the JX-3P when you're recording the sequence to stop things going a bit funny while you're recording.

clegg

Post by clegg » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:03 pm

Great, thank you.. The 1/4" output from the seq. is a metronome out. Figured it acted as an audio out as well.

Not sure what "midi local" is. The JX-3P has a switch that you can switch between using the programmer or midi. Basically an on or off switch, nothing more. As for midi plugs, there's an "in, out and thru".

I'll try what you suggested when I get home from work and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice.

clegg

Post by clegg » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:07 am

Thank you for guiding me. It all worked out. I've been midi devirginised.