RaspberryPi synth

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
breckjay
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: To many cables...

RaspberryPi synth

Post by breckjay » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:23 am

I may be crazy but i have an idea that just might work. the raspberrypi ( http://www.raspberrypi.org/ ) is a arm11 base micro computer for only $35. It runs debian. I thinking about getting the korg microkey 37 and this and making a VST synth. it can run on battery's and can run any linux VST out there. for how cheap it would cost ( around $80 ), i really can't say no. if any one else wants to started this project with me please let me know. sorry if this breaks the rules.
Mopho Key's, Roland sh-32, Korg R3, M Audio Venom, Korg EMX 1, Korg ER 1, and lots of hours in the hole.

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Re: RaspberryPi synth

Post by ryryoftokyo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:02 am

I think this is a brilliant idea. I think what it requires is a controller, usb to midi (or any controller with usb that will transmit the data), the controller running off the USB hub would be GREAT, a simple touch screen interface (smaller the better), something to house it in, and a VST. I'm down.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

breckjay
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by breckjay » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:51 am

I know of a guy already write a standalone synth os for the pi. This little thing is going to be fun. Got to wait 5 weeks for it to get here though.
Mopho Key's, Roland sh-32, Korg R3, M Audio Venom, Korg EMX 1, Korg ER 1, and lots of hours in the hole.

dubold
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: sh-32, ms2000r, er-1mkii, laptop, various delays, wires, tubes

Post by dubold » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:26 am

ryryoftokyo wrote:I think this is a brilliant idea.
yeah, that seems like a really neat concept...

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:24 am

Interesting. I got my Pi weeks ago but haven't had time to do much with it yet. I did wonder if I could make it into a standalone sequencer with custom interface, but I'd be keen to see what you come up with.

As for running on batteries, the power requirements are 5V at maybe half a Watt (as measured in use), with more drain depending on what you have plugged into USB - recommended supply is 700mW absolute minimum, at least 1W recommended. I doubt batteries would last long. USB power supplies are cheap though, I grabbed a Belkin and it works fine. The power connector is micro-USB.

Apparently the latest Raspbian (?) install is faster than the previous Debian, so that might be worth checking out.

breckjay
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by breckjay » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:26 pm

i honestly was going to start small, get the pi, get a micro midi keyboard and put it all in a new case. load VST's on the pi and call it a synth. after all it kind of is. I was looking on how to put a 1/4 line out on the thing but it seems you can not. Also a full line of booted code for a standalone synth is a million times my level,Im not even lvl 1 yet. But i will try. Oh and forget the interface, again lvl 0 here lol. If you would like to help i would be much in your dept to the MiniPi ( name is a work in progress ) but i hope that it will be soon. i can almost taste it.