Ensoniq KT-76 / 88, Startup Issue?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Ensoniq KT-76 / 88, Startup Issue?

Postby somebedroomdj » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:33 pm

My apologies, I had accidentally posted this in the general synth section. :(

I picked up a KS-76 for dirt cheap and it works great. Only issue I'm having with it is that, on start up, it acts a bit funny sometimes. From what I have read online, it is a common problem but I have never found a definitive answer as to the cause or solution. Some of you may already know the issue of which I speak, if not, here is what happens:

The screen normally displays "Ensoniq KT-76" etc. when you turn it on. But sometimes the text on the screen will appear shifted to the left so that it will display "nsoniq KT-76" or "niq KT-76" or some variant of that. When this happens, the buttons and keys are unresponsive and it is necessary to turn it off and on again. Sometimes this will fix it right away and sometimes I have to do it a few times. It always works eventually and I don't play live with it where 100% reliability is crucial, so it's mostly just an annoyance But I do worry that doing this a lot may cause damage down the road or it may hint at a larger problem that I need to address. I can't seem to find anything at all online about a new OS or anything, but willing to try that if anyone knows of someplace where I could find an update.

I have tried reinitializing as described in the manual and a "hard reset" that I read about online where you power on and off 7 times in rapid succession when the letters first appear on the screen. I have read about people contacting "Thesoniq" who is apparently a helpful soul who used to work for Ensoniq, but getting no concrete diagnosis or solution.

This baby is an absolute dream as a master keyboard and probably the only rompler I need, it's just this one thing about it that I'd like to fix. I figured if there was one place I could find someone who knows what the score is with this issue, it would be here. Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give!
Tempest | Deluge | BSII | FR Revolution | SP-16

MPC Live for sale, $850 + shipping
somebedroomdj

Re: Ensoniq KT-76 / 88, Startup Issue?

Postby rhino » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Welcome to the board

My first suggestion would be to clean and de-ox EVERY cable connector inside. Ensoniqs are prone to oxidation.
Next move would be test the reset circuit.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby somebedroomdj » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:28 am

Thank you sir, that sounds like quite an undertaking, but very sound advice. *rimshot* :D

Might have to put that off until I can get my courage up. I still get pretty nervous when it comes to getting into the guts.
Tempest | Deluge | BSII | FR Revolution | SP-16

MPC Live for sale, $850 + shipping
somebedroomdj

Postby JohnDziel » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:39 pm

I know it's an old question, but I have a fix-
As a servicer for many years, I was gifted one of these with this exact problem! Well, no documentation but I was able to get to the bottom of it. Basically, the processor on the display board is booting late. This is caused by a defective capacitor (3.3 mfd 50v) in the reset circuit. There are three of them on the display board. Change them all. I actually found the reliability of boot greatly increased when the reset cap was lowered to a .1mfd mylar cap! In any case, This wonderful unit is back up and running! Beware, this repair is not for the faint of heart as the unit needs to be pretty torn apart to get to the top of the board where the part is. Display board, not mother board.
Cost to fix- About $1
JohnDziel

Postby Ronn » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:45 am

John,
I've been looking for this answer for quite some time now, but nowhere else have I found this fix. It sounds like you're pretty sure this will work. Alternately, I'm stuck sending in both MB and display board to TheSoniq at a huge cost. I've had this same issue on my KT88 for years. I recently acquired a second KT88 with the same problem, so now I'm looking to perform this fix on one of them and maybe both if this actually works. I'm a newbie here too and was hoping to get some more advice on this fix - as tedious as it is to get to these caps. I guess I'm just looking for some encouragement here before I tear into one!
Ronn

Return to HELP!