Keys stick after replacing bushings (pratt-read)

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
shipatsea

Keys stick after replacing bushings (pratt-read)

Post by shipatsea » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 pm

So I just replaced the bushings in an Arp Odyssey. This Pratt keybead is different from my minimoog. There is no metal frame with a keycap.

This one has keys made entirely of plastic. So I removed all keys and replaced the bushings. The bushings were coated in Dow Corning 7 lube as recommended.

Problem is that the keys are a little sluggish and if it sits for a few minutes, once I hit a key it sticks and then breaks free. It's subtle and feels almost like an old Pianet T the way the key action feels.

Anybody have any advice? I ordered some more Dow Corning 7 to put extra lube on the bushings but maybe it's something else.
old american monosynths.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Re: Keys stick after replacing bushings (pratt-read)

Post by rhino » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:38 pm

My guess is too much lube. Just a thin film is all you need.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

shipatsea

Post by shipatsea » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:56 pm

As it is now there is only a thin film. I ordered more just in case but have not applied it. I'll try to wipe some off as it is now and see if that helps. Thanks
old american monosynths.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, System 8, MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog.

Post by Broadwave » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:52 am

I had a similar problem after I installed my bushes... I took them all off, cleaned them and used a light silicone spray on the bushes and the plastic "rectangle" on the key where the bushes make contact. Made the world of difference.

shipatsea

Post by shipatsea » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:11 am

Kronik wrote:I had a similar problem after I installed my bushes... I took them all off, cleaned them and used a light silicone spray on the bushes and the plastic "rectangle" on the key where the bushes make contact. Made the world of difference.
Thanks! I'll be working on this over the weekend
old american monosynths.

shipatsea

Post by shipatsea » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:30 am

Hey Kronic that did it. After removing the keys I saw that the lube that came on the bushings was very thin as recommended earlier but that didn't work. Maybe a difference between the all plastic key vs. the metal and keytop version. Anyhoo I didn't use a spray. I used some DC7 lube that the coat on the bushing. It feels really nice and soft like my minimoog d
old american monosynths.