Obtaining replacement Odyssey sliders (UK/Europe)

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Jorvik
Gear: Axxe, Odyssey, Pro Soloist; Mopho keys, SE; Dark Energy, A100 modules; Solina; Volcas; String Melody II; Streichfett; Little Phatty, Sub37

Obtaining replacement Odyssey sliders (UK/Europe)

Post by Jorvik » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:22 pm

I bought a 2811 a couple of months ago on eBay. I paid top dollar for it: as usual it had been described as having been fully serviced and working perfectly :oops:

I think the well-known company that had supposedly serviced it had taken the previous owner for a ride :roll: He seemed genuinely sorry that I wasn't totally happy and it wasn't in perfect working order and as a gesture of goodwill I got a small refund to put towards having it serviced properly.

I managed to fiddle with the oscillators so that they track the keyboard a lot better, but they still aren't perfect. Then there's the issue of the permanent vibrato on both oscillators. I've now managed to find time to get in touch with a local tech who sorted some issues for me with a couple of string synths a year or so ago.

I thought it would just need a full set-up, going through setting the various voltages as described in the service manual. The tech says that the VCO sliders are really unstable, a slight knock sideways and they're all over the place :shock: I'd not noticed anything like this while using it, they seemed okay -- it was more that it didn't stay in tune as you went up the keyboard or flipped the transpose lever (like I say, nowhere near as badly as it used to be following my fiddling with a screwdriver and a guitar tuner).

He's not convinced it'll be possible to service it terribly well unless both coarse and fine sliders are replaced for both VCOs so that they're stable. He'll be getting back to me in a bit to let me know which values I need to order, once he's had chance to check in the service manual.

I'm based in the UK. The Synth Restore website doesn't seem to have the full sliders in stock at the moment, just the internal slider tracks. My tech has said he's dubious replacing the internals would solve the problem and he'd much rather replace the whole unit.

I found the vintagesynth.com shop based in France which seems to have sliders at a fairly reasonable price -- it's not a site I've heard of before, does anyone know whether they're any good? Does anyone know of any other reputable suppliers, especially ones in the UK?

Many thanks in advance.

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Obtaining replacement Odyssey sliders (UK/Europe)

Post by sam » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:22 pm

I have experience with these....Those sliders can be taken apart cleaned then greased.

If the tracking is not worn they will be ok...

Anglian art ...Have a web store that sells them...Check it out.

Your synth tech can always pm me if in doubt..
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

Jorvik
Gear: Axxe, Odyssey, Pro Soloist; Mopho keys, SE; Dark Energy, A100 modules; Solina; Volcas; String Melody II; Streichfett; Little Phatty, Sub37

Post by Jorvik » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:42 pm

Thanks. I got the distinct impression though that he thinks they're beyond cleaning and he said he suspects it's most likely the wipers are dodgy (hence preferring to replace the whole unit rather than just the track) -- i.e. what you said about them being worn.

I would have thought that it would be cheaper, when you're paying for someone's time, for them to desolder the old ones and fit new ones rather than spending a lot of time taking them apart and fiddling around with them. The funny thing is, the oscillator tuning sliders are among the few that aren't really stiff.

I've found the Anglian Art eBay store. I've just twigged that they sell the filter modules and other ARP parts that come up when I search eBay specifically for ARP stuff. I'd looked earlier today and sadly they, too, don't have any sliders currently for sale.

Bummer. Should've bought some sliders whilst they were available instead of waiting until I needed them :lol:

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:28 pm

Ive heard through the grapevine anglian art may have new stocks of the odyssey sliders in the new year, i broke up a orange/ black odyssey up this year i think i may have some sliders still, i dont know what you want to pay for them as individual, i also have a orange axxe i was thinking of breaking .
yamoto773

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:59 am

This may be of interest to Arp owners..

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... -open.html

- CM

Jorvik

Post by Jorvik » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:56 pm

bochelli wrote:Ive heard through the grapevine anglian art may have new stocks of the odyssey sliders in the new year, i broke up a orange/ black odyssey up this year i think i may have some sliders still, i dont know what you want to pay for them as individual, i also have a orange axxe i was thinking of breaking .
Sadly I could do with them now, although I'll bear that in mind and will perhaps buy a full set when they're available again so I have them in for future need :lol:

Just realised that I gave the wrong web address for the shop I found, it's www.vintagesynthshop.com -- I obviously have vintagesynth.com on the brain :oops:

I think I'll have to try my luck with them as it seems to be my only choice for new sliders at the moment. I don't think I want to go down the route of originals -- they could be absolutely fine, but then again they could be as bad as the ones already in my Oddy. But many thanks for the offer :)
Carey M wrote:This may be of interest to Arp owners..

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... -open.html

- CM
Thanks for the heads-up. I don't want to buy anything from the US, though, as it can be a major pain in the arse with import duty and tax.