PAIA modular found

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: PAIA modular found

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:42 am

ford442 wrote:ok.. that got me going somewhat..
i can get sound out of each OSC output, but nothing that i do on the keyboard effects pitch. only on with tip - off without...
i cannot seem to route audio to VCF or anywhere for that matter.. i must be doing it wrong..
Don't mean to state the bleeding obvious but you do realise you need to patch a lead from the output of the oscillator to the input of the filter to do that don't you?

ford442
Band: Noah Cohn

Post by ford442 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:41 am

right - i used one of the red 1/8" cables... nothing comes out of the LP BP HP outputs..

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:42 pm

Pitch: patch from a RED banana on the keyboard to one of the BLACK bananas on the VCO. Use a voltmeter to confirm the RED output is generating voltage changes.

Filter: patch 1/8" from the VCO saw to the 1/8" INPUT on the VCF, then 1/8" outputs of VCF to your amplifier.

Alternative: buy me a plane ticket, book me a motel room and I'll fly out and help you check it out =D>
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:27 pm

ford442 wrote:thanks for the input.. $250 makes it more like something that i should hold onto and learn with i suppose.. i thought that maybe each 'kit' in here increased the value.. someone else told me possibly $500 - $1000 for the whole thing..
Well...obviously it's worth whatever you can get someone who wants it to pay. There may be someone out there who would pay $500-$1000, but I think that would be based more on sentimental value than an objective functional/quality comparison with today's available alternatives. The PAIA modules did the job but they were designed to be fairly low-cost for the day (a 4700-J was my first synth back in high school in 1978 -- the kit went for $550, a lot of money for a high-school student at the time but still way less than an ARP or Moog)...and that low-price design point does show through at times. The power supplies are not regulated at all and there's a fair amount of ripple on the PS rails, thus you will typically hear some amount of 60 Hz hum in the audio. The VCOs drift somewhat. Low-price op amps in the audio chain add some hash noise to the audio. And so on. It is a great synth to learn on though and its price point was somewhat of a miracle at the time they were sold. Enjoy!
-- R.