an1x questions

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
elsquirrel

an1x questions

Post by elsquirrel » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi,

Just picked up an an1x. They seller mentioned that there was some issue with pressing Two leftmost buttons (ctrl) and the an1x crashing, and that the problem was common to all an1x's. I really had no idea what he was talking about at the time, and haven't been able to find any mention of it. Does anyone know if there's something along these lines I should look out for.

Also the bottom row of the control knobs feels really lose, and the last knob on the bottom room actually can't be pressed as it's slightly recessed. It feels like something just needs to be tightened. Is there anything I need to know before opening her up to forage around and try to fix this problem? I'm just going to flip it keyside down on some pillows and start unscrewing? Is trouble awaiting me?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: an1x questions

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:14 pm

I've never heard of any crashing problem with the AN1x.

I agree it sounds like a circuit board for the controls isn't tightly mounted any more.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

elsquirrel

Post by elsquirrel » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:22 pm

He said if you have both buttons (1+2) under the volume pressed, and then you did something else, it would sound like it 'was going to explode', but you just needed to restart. He assured me it was ubiquitous and well documented so I figured I would just look it up when I got home and didn't press him for anymore information.

I've been pressing them trying to get the exploding noise out of curiosity, nothing yet....

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:28 pm

Those are the scene morphing buttons...hmm, seems like every AN1x in existence would be crashing a lot, then. First I've heard of that "feature" :shock:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

elsquirrel

Post by elsquirrel » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:20 pm

Yes it is strange. I'll have to ask for clarification. As far as the loose knobs go, its just a loose hex nut which you can see if you remove the plastic knobs. It's cruel because you can see it, but you can't get to it without going through all sorts of h**l.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:39 pm

They get caught in a wierd release state sometimes. I've had two that have done it. It seems to only happen sometimes on certain patches more for some reason. Don't always necessarly have to turn it off and on, sometimes switching banks and back will re-set it, but it seems to tend to come back on the voices that like to do it. At least that is my experience with them, didn't sound like it was going to explode, just a slightly anoying crackly sort of static wierdness that sounds like you've just tweaked it out way too much and it don't know what is going on with itself, is hard to explain, but yeah don't let it keep you from using one or buying one. It is one of the best sounding and fun to use analog modeler/VA synths IMHO.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

thehighesttree

Post by thehighesttree » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:00 pm

Sorry to hijack this, but would anyone be able to help explain the whole Scene Morph paradigm to me? I've turned off the MIDI assignment for Scene Change because I have no idea how to set up the scene morphing when I create a patch...I just wanted my modwheel back. Can I turn this off so I have an assignable modwheel on a patch-by-patch basis? There's even something about being able to save scenes...does this mean it takes the entire patch info from that half or what? It's difficult for me to explain my current jumbled understanding, so if any patient souls out there could take a moment and help me with this I'd be really, really grateful. I've also got a newer Mac without a copy of WIndows, so no software editor for me. This is really kicking my a*s...I want to enjoy this aspect of my AN1x but it's just too perplexing for me right now :(

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:21 am

the bug with the AN1x scene morph buttons on startup is pretty well documented - check out/search the yahoo group.
It apparently only affected the first runs of the AN1x (not sure about the total numbers/percentage of ones made) and was solved soon after with an upgrade of some sort.
If you have one with this bug it would go a little something like this: when first turned on and a patch that has both scene 1 +2 selected/lit up a horrible digital screaming/popping/staticy noise will come out of it. Hard to miss. It's not a problem that will deteriorate over time or anything... it just... is.
The solution is to don't panic (!), select only one scene and play for a little - after a couple of minutes you should be ok to select 2 scenes/morph and the problem will not present itself. Try and remember to power down when only one scene is selected then when you power up the problem won't be a problem!
The AN1x is weird and wonderful thing.

elsquirrel

Post by elsquirrel » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:54 am

Yeah that sounds like what he was talking about. Haven't encountered yet, maybe I'll try. Do you know if the fix was a software or hardware one? Are there different OS versions for the an1x for that matter?

@highestree, I think I've mostly understood the scenes and morphing etc., however I'm sure I'll just confuse you even more if I try to explain it. If the manual really isn't helping I can give it a shot though.

I was able to tighten the hex nuts on the control knobs without having the take the main board out which was a relief. If you just find the right sized bit of plastic you can take the knob off and wedge it between the opening and slowly but surely turn the nut.

Really liking the an1x. Pads are brilliant, and it has really nice general ambiance to it. The step sequencer is amazing for coming up with little melodies. I see what people mean about the stepping but a minor thing as far as I'm concerned. It makes certain tweaks sound 'electronicy' not necessarily bad. The interface works seamlessly for me, though I suppose some people might not like it. Reminds me of the esq-1 where you're only one button press away from where you need to be. Surely the next best thing to a 1-1 parameter/knob layout.

thehighesttree

Post by thehighesttree » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:10 pm

More like "one button held down...within a submenu...within a menu...seperate from the other half of the matrix" but it's not totally incomprehensible for the most part. I realize the bottom rows of the right-hand matrix are the more general system settings and the ones above are for the patch (tempo, portamento, FX, Free EG, etc.) but I don't know why there are multiple settings for the scene change which appear to be the same, or if the whole value I normally associate with a patch is saved when you save to a scene slot.This whole scene memory thing is a giant f**k that seems to be conceptually stuck between patch data and system data, like a seperate subclass of patches (am I right on this?)

Yamaha also did a sub-par job with the jargon on this one, with some lack of consistency when it comes to naming/classifying the parameters that makes it hard to tell what's associated with what. For example, the rocker-button matrix has a few rows with "step" and "value" labels, but it's not plainly obvious what these are for, since each row is basically a mashup of values that seem to be located with no reason other than free real estate. It seems that you've gotta really dig in if you want to understand where these values are going, and once you've done that you've pretty much mangled the original patch. I've also never had any luck undoing anything either, but I've taught myself to work incrementally on patches so this isn't a big issue.

My main question is: if I leave the MIDI assignment for Scene Change set to the modwheel, am I able to disable this within a given patch so that I can use it for other purposes without the scene change occuring? If so, how do I go about this? Thanks in advance for reading though my rant and the help!

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:29 am

Been a while since I've been on my AN1X, but doesn't having the two scene memory buttons turned off keep the mod wheel from morphing between them? Or maybe turn the main matrix knob to bottom and press the control device rocker buttons to 1 which should be MW for mod wheel then the buttons right of it set to 0 for off, or hopefully you can figure out the rest for CCs parms etc. control for MW. I don't have my An1x in front of me to test, but hope one of these works for ya?
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]