loud psu

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
elsquirrel

loud psu

Post by elsquirrel » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:45 am

I have a six-trak with quite a loud buzz from the power supply. It's not frightening loud, as if it might explode, but loud enough to be able to hear it anywhere in the room, and that a mic pics it up. My questions for those with technical know-how on such issues:

Is this a sign of maintenance or fault issue? Or is it just a loud psu that one has to learn to deal with, like an annoying uncle? The psu in question is actually 220v and I'm using it in aus (230v -+10 i think) - could this be the answer?
Of the few bits of gear with internal power supplies I have another is a little annoying as well, could this point to some issue with the wiring of the building I live which is quite old?

There's one power outlet in the room that looks like it's had work done it, and looks suspect. But I wouldn't know what to say to an electrician, as I have no idea if there's a problem or where to look.

As always, any input appreciated. Thanks!

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Re: loud psu

Post by cornutt » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:54 pm

Usually when a power supply hums loudly or buzzes, it's some issue with the transformer. It may be that the transformer is simply physically loose in its mount. Sometimes designers put rubber isolators on the transformer mount to keep the vibration from coupling to the case, and those eventually wear out. These are pretty easy issues to fix.

However, it may also be that the core has come loose or is cracked inside the transformer. If that's the case, the transformer needs to be replaced.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:39 pm

Also, occasionally the varnish/resin that holds the transformer windings in place degrades over time (heat, age, etc.) and lets the windings start vibrating around, causing the buzzing. While this could theoretically be cured by rewinding the transformer and soaking in varnish/resin again, usually the much more practical and economical choice is again to replace the transformer.
-- R.

elsquirrel

Post by elsquirrel » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:25 am

It seems to be mounted fairly well, I think I'll just look for a replacement. In any case, I'll probably have an electrician check the house grounding etc. as I seem to have had lot of problems of buzz, hum etc. in the past.