Korg Polysix arp sync 5V

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
clegg

Korg Polysix arp sync 5V

Post by clegg » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:05 pm

Would anyone be so kind as to explain what this does?

I've been trying to figure it out but there's limited info on the net.

From my understanding there are certain sequencers/drum machines that will control the arpeggiator of the polysix?

if so, would anyone know of any rhythm machines/sequencers that would work hand in hand with the polysix?

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Re: Korg Polysix arp sync 5V

Post by Pro5 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:42 pm

Send a rimshot sample to the input from you daw/sequencer (start with low volume and inc till it triggers) - each pulse will advance the arp.

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:23 pm

or if you want it midi synced send a short square wave sound in low frequency and short decay from any midi synth or your pc and voila.

clegg

Post by clegg » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:56 am

Thanks.

I don't use midi. But say I have a drum machine, by "sending it to the p6" do you mean I plug the output from the drum machin to the trig in of the poly synth? In that case, how would I get sound from the drum machine (if its plugged into the p6) ?

Lastly, I've been reading about a converter to change the voltage so the p6 works as it should without any lag?

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:45 am

Some drum machines (like the Roland TR-707 shown below) have multiple outputs [one for each instruments] and/or a trigger output in addition to the regular mono/stereo outs. You can just use the rim shot or the trigger from the individual outputs to drive another synth's arppegiator and still get the sound out of the drum machine.

Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:54 pm

You need an S-trigger on the Polysix! That's why it won't work properly with rimshots or V-triggers ("lag"). MS 20 ESP can convert it from anything for example ;)

What it does is simple, each trigger you send there moves the arp one step further...

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:55 pm

One of these is what you want (the TC-1) : http://systemj.co.uk/sysjpage2.html
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

clegg

Post by clegg » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:52 pm

Thank you for the replies.

All i want to do is trigger the arp so it does a certain pattern when I hit the note (an example being the bass line for Enjoy the Silence / Depeche Mode) is there an extremely simple arp trigger? Just a device where you can setup that send click sounds to the synth for which the arp will follow?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:45 am

What is your master clock? For example, in a DAW, you can record a trigger (or use a rim shot or sth other very short) and send that out to the clock in. You still need to convert it to S-trigger though, that TC 1 that Psy Free posted is cheap and will do the job (or, as I said, some other gear can do it too, e.g. an MS20 or with a proper clean trigger it might also work with simple inversion - you got some other equipment?). See this page for a clarification on S-trigger vs. V-trigger.

The arp on the P6 is only up / down / up-down. You can't program sequences in there. So for the bassline in enjoy the silence, which is just a rhythm on one note which (the note) changes after like each bar, you could program the rhythm with your click, but you'd still need to change the notes manually on the keyboard.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

clegg

Post by clegg » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:55 pm

pflosi wrote:What is your master clock? For example, in a DAW, you can record a trigger (or use a rim shot or sth other very short) and send that out to the clock in. You still need to convert it to S-trigger though, that TC 1 that Psy Free posted is cheap and will do the job (or, as I said, some other gear can do it too, e.g. an MS20 or with a proper clean trigger it might also work with simple inversion - you got some other equipment?). See this page for a clarification on S-trigger vs. V-trigger.

The arp on the P6 is only up / down / up-down. You can't program sequences in there. So for the bassline in enjoy the silence, which is just a rhythm on one note which (the note) changes after like each bar, you could program the rhythm with your click, but you'd still need to change the notes manually on the keyboard.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Very helpful, ! I'll most likely be purchasing that TC1 (or I'll build one. doesn't look too complicated).

On your comment:

So for the bassline in enjoy the silence, which is just a rhythm on one note which (the note) changes after like each bar, you could program the rhythm with your click, but you'd still need to change the notes manually on the keyboard.

that's what I'm hoping I can do with a cheap drum machine plugged into an S trig. If the pattern itself is possible, then I'm happy. :) I do understand that I'll have to change the note myself. However, my quesiton is, if I turn the drum machine on, I'm figuring there's no way to start the arp. from the beginning when I press the key, right? It'll just follow as the drum machine goes along?

I have a cheapo zoom drum machine I'll be testing out.

The synth will be used live (with the band). I'm clueless when it comes to midi or anything with computers. I tried, and failed miserably. That's why i think the most simple solution that would work is to plug a drum machine to the synth.

I appreciate your help

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:42 pm

Yeah it should work easily with a drum machine and something to convert to S-trigger (easy DIY job, circuit is not complicated at all - but the TC1 is so cheap that you probably would spend more for a case I guess...). Keep in mind though that in order to program rhythms other than straight 16th, you need a drum machine where you can program the trigger on one of the instruments (not only a simple clock out). An individual out for something short like a rimshot might also work, but then that instrument is out of the mix (unless you split it). Not sure about Zoom stuff I have to admit... Best to try it out.

To start the arp immediately with the drum machine, you need to engage "hold" on the P6, press a key, then start the drum machine. It will play through the note you pressed in the rhythm you programmed. You can change the note on the fly with the keyboard, but that doesn't work with hold (cause it would hold both notes you pressed and alter between them). It's a pity the P6 has no input for pedal hold which would be nice for this... A workaround is to make the P6 mono (either unison, or if you want only one instead of 6 oscs you can use the chord function and press in only one key). If no note is engaged, the arp will not start, so you can also start it by pressing the first key after the drum machine has already been running.

I love to do this live - never done with the P6 so far, but I've dragged out my Juno, SH101 and MS20 to quite a few gigs and did this trick. Loads of fun, especially in a band-live situation where you don't need to focus on all the instruments (i.e. if you do a gig alone without a fancy laptop or MPC or sth sequencer) :thumbleft:

Cheers!

clegg

Post by clegg » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:18 pm

Awesome! Thanks again.

I'll try to build the v-trig / s-tring converter myself. unfortunately it seems like System J's aren't available right now.

I finally tried the synth at the pad. Amazing sound! I thought it would replace the Poly-800 I've been using for months but as it turns out, they both offer some really great sounds so I'll be keeping both.