how to synchronize analog sequencer with drum vst

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
muhammed

how to synchronize analog sequencer with drum vst

Post by muhammed » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:37 am

İs there a way synching analog sequencer with vst drum machine.
sequencer model: system 100m '182'
thank you.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: how to synchronize analog sequencer with drum vst

Post by pflosi » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:44 am

Use a rimshot on a separate audio output to send it to the trigger input.

Alternatively, record a trigger and use that on an output into the trigger in of the 182 (be sure not to send it to your speakers).

Or: Motu Volta / Silent Way (& Expert Sleepers / DC-coupled interface)

If you have any hardware with trigger outputs that can be synced to your DAW, that's where I'd start to look first.

There are also some dedicated boxes that convert audio from an interface to triggers and sync24, but cannot remember the manufacturer... Maybe someone else will.

I suppose the 182 needs triggers higher than 5V (as virtually all Roland 70ies equipment), so if something doesn't work that might be the problem. It's hard to go above 5V with the Volta / Silent Way solution IME...

muhammed

Post by muhammed » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:22 pm

it did not work. I used lm 4 kick as sound source and ı connected headphone output to trigger input to trig the 182 sequencer but nothing happened.
I also connected korg kr 55 triger out to trigger in on the 182 and it started working but it did not meet my expection.
here is short demo http://soundcloud.com/user453886445/untitled1-1.
there is trigger selection behind the kr 55 , when I change it step number also changes. when I change tempo on 182 step number changes again. why ? I dont want synching 182 and sound source like this.
my goal is syncing bpm without changing number of step .I must decide how many steps will be not kr 55 . ı hope you understand what ı mean

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:43 pm

I'm not 100% sure what you mean exactly... but let's try.

First thing, the KR55 puts out an S-trigger, while the 182 want a V-trigger. See also this thread. But BEWARE, the OP of that thread wants the conversion the other way around, i.e. you want S-trigger->V-trigger, he needs V-trigger->S-trigger. Just in case you intend to get one of those SystemJ boxes (link in thread), be sure to get the right one. Just to check, have you got other drum machines, something roland maybe?

Apart from that, the KR55 trigger selection is the division of the tempo. The setting to the very left, 16th, is what you want (and conversion to V-trigger). Leave that setting as it is. If you put the converted KR55 trigger in the trigger input of the 182, it should move one step further on the 182 for every trigger. Set the step number knob to what you want it to be and leave it. Changing the tempo knob on the 182 shouldn't do anything in my books, since the KR55 decides about that...? But then again I've not seen many System100ms in my life, so I'm mostly guessing here anyway... ;) Could also be a problem that the 100m quite certainly wants to see higher triggers than 5V, which is what the KR55 is capable of...

You also have a 184 keyboard IIRC, right? You can also use the arp to play a continuous trigger - engage the arp, play a chord and put the total gate of the 184 to the trigger in of the 182, does that work as you expect? Does changing tempo on the 182 do something in that situation?

muhammed

Post by muhammed » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:01 pm

I ' have very old drum machine it has not trigger out. Actually I want to sequenze 182 with cubase's vst drum machines rather than analog drum machines . do I need s-trigger or v-trigger to synch with D.A.W.
184 keyboard only changes note when ı play different chord so it is working properly ,changing tempo does not do anything

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:32 am

In that case you need only V-triggers. But you need to somehow create them in sync with the DAW.

Several possibilities:
  • Any gear with trigger outs that can be synced to your DAW - drum machines, synths with sequencer, etc. But I guess that possibility is ruled out if you don't have anything like that...
  • Try around with samples instead of triggers. You mentioned a kick didn't work, try something shorter like a rimshot. Try messing around with its volume and maybe some transient designer or some other dynamic processor to make it shorter. You could also try to record a square lfo from the 100m, cut it into one trigger, and then send that out. Or record a trigger from the 184 keyboard. Be sure that you've got a DC coupled interface though if you intend to do that (what have you?), and that you don't send the triggers to your speakers.
  • Some sync devices have clock outputs, e.g. a Doepfer MSY2 midi-sync24 converter (that's what I use often). Also Doepfer MCV4 midi-CV. One of these synclock devices should work as well.
  • Motu Volta & DC coupled interface, or Silent Way & DC coupled interface or with Expert Sleepers
  • Go Eurorack (implied already with the Expert Sleepers option), something like a Doepfer Mini-Case (32 TE) & A119 (external input), A190-1 (midi-CV/gate/sync), A160 (clock divider), A161 (trigger sequencer, together with A160), A182 (switched multiple) would do everything you want and a lot more (the modules I listed are examples, they would fill up the 32 TE of the Mini-Case, the A119 or A190-1 alone would already do what you want - you can fill up the rest with whatever you feel like, but the examples I've given would be great for advanced clocking fun). The 100m should integrate perfectly with Eurorack.
That's all that comes to my mind... If you don't have any sequencer (drum machine or synth with seq) that can be midi-synced, and if you do not have success with a sample (either short drum hit or an actual trigger if your interface allows it), I guess you'll need to invest in one or the other device to do the job...

That's what I can think of. I'm quite sure there are tons of other options, maybe someone else will chime in to complement everything I've forgotten...

Cheers!

BTW I'll be in Istanbul in three weeks :thumbright:

muhammed

Post by muhammed » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:22 pm

I am going to build up eurorack modular soon , I add these above mentioned modules to my list.I dont think my audio interface is DC coupled .(tc connect 24d). Due to feast festival in my country ı will be out of istanbul. if you dont want to see blood and chopping heads you should not visit the middle eat countries. but as long as you bring the blonde babes together I can cancel my vocation:))
thank for your help
best regards.