Triggering via the Linndrum

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Triggering via the Linndrum

Post by tomorrowstops » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:13 pm

The 'trigger output' of my Linndrum is currently clocking my Pro One's arp/sequencer. Before I had the Pro One, it was clocking the arp of my Jupiter 6. I really want to run both! I tried running the JP6 utilizing the cowbell trigger method, but it wouldn't consistently trigger. I also tried the 'sync out', but all I got was noise. Can I split the signal coming out of the 'trigger out' - ie - mono 1/4" y adapter?

I know I could hook up a Kenton unit and have Pro Tools control all of it, but I'm trying to stay off of the computer.

Thoughts?

OntarioHydro
Band: {}[]<>[]{}

Re: Triggering via the Linndrum

Post by OntarioHydro » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:31 pm

i've found splitting trigger signals with y cables to be kinda iffy.

if you run audio into the audio in of the pro-one that should trigger it. maybe try the sidestick or one of the toms.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:59 pm

Ok, thats kind of what I thought. New question: is a 'clock' signal different from a 1v/oct gate/trigger?

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:08 pm

anyone?

I'm now trying to figure out if I could clock the Linndrum, the arp on the JP6, and the sequencer/arp on the Pro One via a Kenton Pro 2000 mkII (midi'd from Pro Tools). Problem is, they all require a +5v clock signal, but the Kenton only has one 'clock' output. If I'm understanding the manual correctly;

"Gate from Notes
- this allows the selected auxiliary output to give a voltage output in response to notes on any MIDI
channel you select - the off and on levels can be changed by using the Min & Max (and Reset) level
controls - Min sets the voltage when the gate is off and Max sets the level when the gate is on. For
example if you set min to zero and Max to 25 you will have a 5v gate signal or if you set Min to 25 and
Max to zero you will have an S-trig with +5v pullup."

this would be the same thing and I could program 2 out the auxilary outs?? In the end, the 'clock' output would trigger the Linn, and the 2 programmed auxs would control the JP6 and the Pro One.

schmidtc

Post by schmidtc » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:07 am

The 5 volts might be drooping because of the smaller input impedance. The kenton should work. Kenton 2000 can send a separate trig signal on 2 channels that synths like Arps use for their envelopes. This should work just fine for an arpeggiator clock as well. IIRC you can send 15V to a 5V on these outputs. There's no danger in using 15V and I think you can adjust the time of the trigger pulse also.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:26 am

An Y cable should work generally to split, the V will drop a little bit though. If you have enough V to begin with, it shouldn't be a problem.

Otherwise, you could also consider a Doepfer Mini-Case and a few utility modules, what you want is mults and you could fill up the rest of the HP with a few other useful utilities...

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:00 pm

pflosi - the trigger output of the Linndrum is 5v, and both the clock inputs on the Pro One and the JP6 need to see 5v...do you think splitting that signal is going to degrade the voltage too much?

I'm going to pick up a Y adapter today anyways (the ONLY adapter I apparently don't have already!) and try it.....

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:51 am

Update: got the Y adapter and split the trigger out of the Linndrum to both the Pro One and JP6. Works great! The only problem is obviously that I can't have two different clock divides (ie: JP6 running 16ths + Pro One running 1/8ths) happening....kinda boring

The kenton may still be the way to go, as I think you can program each aux with different divides....

any other thoughts?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:00 am

pflosi wrote:An Y cable should work generally to split, the V will drop a little bit though. If you have enough V to begin with, it shouldn't be a problem.

Otherwise, you could also consider a Doepfer Mini-Case and a few utility modules, what you want is mults and you could fill up the rest of the HP with a few other useful utilities...
A mult and a Y-split are the same thing electrically, if one didn't work then the other wouldn't help at all.
tomorrowstops wrote:Update: got the Y adapter and split the trigger out of the Linndrum to both the Pro One and JP6. Works great! The only problem is obviously that I can't have two different clock divides (ie: JP6 running 16ths + Pro One running 1/8ths) happening....kinda boring

The kenton may still be the way to go, as I think you can program each aux with different divides....

any other thoughts?
Doepfer beauty case with a clock divider like the 4MS RCD would be great for that, if you added a SCM and some digital logic as well you could get some really interesting rhythms going. Intellijel uStep would be a great addition as well, or even just by itself.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:43 am

Well a buffered mult would be different, in case the y cable would not work... ;)

Anyways, once into modules there's tons of cool stuff to check out of course, so +1 on eurorack logic modules :thumbleft: