Casio HZ/HT memory

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
bendragon
Gear: Novation Launchkey 49, Korg Monologue, Roland TR-8, Roland TB-03, VPROM 2.0, VSDSX, Behringer DeepMind 12

Casio HZ/HT memory

Post by bendragon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:07 pm

Casio HZ-600 synthesizer. Does not store patches after I turn it off and factory patches are restored when I turn it back on.

I thought it would be similar to the CZ-101 in that it needs massive D-Cell batteries in the bottom to hold memory but I've tried and this does not appear to be the case.

The odd thing is, I opened it up thinking I would need to change a small lithium battery but there is no internal battery! There isn't even a battery holder anywhere on the motherboard. Is the RAM Card required to save patches for later recall?

The manual states that "Edited tone data can be saved via RAM card (Optional RA-100), for recall at a later time". But it also gives instructions for saving to internal memory and how to initialise internal memory to clear your edited patches. So the manual has only served to confuse the life out of me.

Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

Thanks!

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Re: Casio HZ/HT memory

Post by rhino » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:55 pm

Found a reference in Synth Museum that states the HZ-600 uses 6 D-cells. Don't know what else to tell you.
Synthe is far too old to have FLASH memory.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

bendragon
Gear: Novation Launchkey 49, Korg Monologue, Roland TR-8, Roland TB-03, VPROM 2.0, VSDSX, Behringer DeepMind 12

Post by bendragon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:06 pm

rhino wrote:Found a reference in Synth Museum that states the HZ-600 uses 6 D-cells. Don't know what else to tell you.
Synthe is far too old to have FLASH memory.
It might be some faulty component on the motherboard - someone on the Casio HT-3000 page here on VS stated that they replaced a faulty diode and use big D-Cell batteries to hold memory. Might be a similar situation with this HZ-600.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:53 pm

Sorry - don't understand: Did you replace the D-cells and memory is still not saved? Your OP made it sound like you did not find the battery holder on the bottom of the synth.
Does the synth still play the factory sounds on battery power? If not:
Check for corrosion on the battery terminals
Check for broken wire from the battery holder to the main board
- Confucius

bendragon

Post by bendragon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:00 pm

rhino wrote:Sorry - don't understand: Did you replace the D-cells and memory is still not saved? Your OP made it sound like you did not find the battery holder on the bottom of the synth.
Does the synth still play the factory sounds on battery power? If not:
Check for corrosion on the battery terminals
Check for broken wire from the battery holder to the main board
Sorry if it was badly worded - yes I did try D-Cells and the synths runs from batteries without AC power. The synth is also in mint condition (the woman I bought it from has had it new since 1988) and everything inside is immaculate apart from a little dust.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Right, then. I've had no luck finding a schematic on the web...yet.
(following is a guess)
From the + side of the batteries should be a regulator (likely a transistor) to lower the 9-volts from the batteries to 3 volts. From there will be some resistors and a diode to the memory chip(s). You'll need to trace this down and make sure the +3 volts is at the memory. There may well be a big capacitor too. Many devices that use drycells have that to give you about 20 seconds to change the batteries without loosing the memory.

EDIT EDIT EDIT !!!
Just found this:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-50385.html

Several others were having memory-loss problems on Casio models
Seems it was the Zener diode that drops the voltage to the RAM chip
NOET: None of them had any succes getting a service manual from Casio.
- Confucius

bendragon

Post by bendragon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:41 pm

rhino wrote:Right, then. I've had no luck finding a schematic on the web...yet.
(following is a guess)
From the + side of the batteries should be a regulator (likely a transistor) to lower the 9-volts from the batteries to 3 volts. From there will be some resistors and a diode to the memory chip(s). You'll need to trace this down and make sure the +3 volts is at the memory. There may well be a big capacitor too. Many devices that use drycells have that to give you about 20 seconds to change the batteries without loosing the memory.

EDIT EDIT EDIT !!!
Just found this:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-50385.html

Several others were having memory-loss problems on Casio models
Seems it was the Zener diode that drops the voltage to the RAM chip
NOET: None of them had any succes getting a service manual from Casio.
Nice edit, just as I hit "quote" as well!
They mention a Zener Diode and a Transistor that they replaced and surprise surprise look what I find connected directly to the battery terminals in the HZ-600.
Looks like a black Zener diode and a garden variety disk capacitor.

Top side of the board so you can see the tracks.

There are several large capacitors on the board but non near the ICs on the opposite end which I assume to be the CPU and RAM/ROM as they're all NEC branded.