PG200 broken pots

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
intrancewetrust
Gear: sausage fingers and a bad hat

PG200 broken pots

Post by intrancewetrust » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:51 pm

i have acquired a PG-200, but the sustain and VCA level pots are busted... theyre basically lose/rattling around and when you turn them, its like the whole business is turning instead of the actual shaft of the pot. i am pretty technically inept, but i figure a box of knobs is a fairly safe thing to try and fix myself...

sooo i have the back panel off, and the connector detached from the case, now i assume i have to remove these 6 or so screws in the pcb to get the board out... however... i would also think i would have to get the knobs off the pots somehow? anyone with experience in cracking one of these bad boys open able to help me out.

intrancewetrust

Re: PG200 broken pots

Post by intrancewetrust » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:27 am

so i have the circuit board out now... the whole shaft bit is loose...i cant see any way to tighten it... anyone know of a replacement pot that will do the job?

also since i have it all open now, is there anything worth doing, like popping some faderlube into the working pots or anything? (going to give it a clean)

i found these but im not sure they are the right ones? i mean they must be right, but still thought i had better check heheh

http://www.vintagesynthshop.com/Roland- ... abacNa.asp

Don T
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland SH-09, Korg Polysix, Moog Rogue, Realistic MG-1, Paia Fatman, Korg Monotron, and of course, my main instrument: Trumpet!

Post by Don T » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:40 am

intrancewetrust wrote:so i have the circuit board out now... the whole shaft bit is loose...i cant see any way to tighten it... anyone know of a replacement pot that will do the job?

also since i have it all open now, is there anything worth doing, like popping some faderlube into the working pots or anything? (going to give it a clean)

i found these but im not sure they are the right ones? i mean they must be right, but still thought i had better check heheh

http://www.vintagesynthshop.com/Roland- ... abacNa.asp
Hi, I replaced pots on a PG-200 before. You are correct, there is no way to tighten the shaft bearing one it breaks loose from the body.

The pot in the link appears to be the correct replacement.

Yes, cleaning the pots is a good idea, and definitely use a bit of faderlube when done. I wouldn't remove the pots from the board that are good. You will find out why when you try to remove the broken ones. It is not an easy task, and take care to not overheat the board where the tabs on the pot body plug in, it can pull the plated "hole" out of the board, leaving you with nothing to solder the new pot tabs to.

As long as you have it open, it may be worth replacing the handful of electrolytic caps inside as well.
Don Taylor

Master of no trades, practitioner of many.
(Basically, this means I know just enough about a lot of things to get myself in real trouble)

intrancewetrust

Post by intrancewetrust » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:17 am

ah thanks for the reply :) sounds like i should get someone who is good at soldering to swap them out if they are tricky... i will probably butcher it!

so basically get a techy guy to swap the pots and caps for me, give it all a good brush down and blast with a can of air to get rid of dust, deoxit (D5?)the pots then faderlube them? is it worth doing anything to the switches (rotary and linear)

with the deoxit and faderlube, should i dribble it down the shaft (that sounds a bit wrong lol), or go thru the hole cut in the top of the casing... or both? i have googled this topic and ended up even more confused than before i started :)

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:33 pm

You might want to call Roland and see if they still have the pots - may be cheaper.
Customer service: (323) 890-3740
the part# is: 13219242
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:22 pm

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:41 pm

$30 for a used pot you have to de-solder from a board? Will be interesting to see if they sell any. If a PG-200 can be parted out for $800 I suspect others will be doing It...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com