esx arpeggiator speed

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
staticwarp

esx arpeggiator speed

Post by staticwarp » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:22 am

is there a way to change the speed at which the arp on the korg esx plays notes? it would be much more useful to me if it didn't spit out a constant, quantized stream of 16th notes. So far the only way i've found is to change the bpm of the entire pattern, but that's not really what I'm trying to do. It would be great if I could move the slider or ribbon to control the speed of the notes and switch them to 8th, quarter, 1/2, or whole notes if i need to (which I find myself wanting to do, all the time).

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Re: esx arpeggiator speed

Post by divineaudio » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:49 pm

you can reverse the arp control in the global menu. then the slider controls the quantization and the touchstrip controls pitch or gate time.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:41 pm

Much nicer than the RTFM response I was going to post.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

staticwarp

Post by staticwarp » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:28 am

Thanks, but that's not really what I'm talking about, and I keep the manual open when i'm using my esx. I don't need to simply reverse the functions of the slider and ribbon (i've tried, it wasn't all that different from the stock setting), but to change the rate of the arpeggio when it's triggered. it was probably a bit misleading for me to mention quantization in my first post, as quantization is fine with me. I just need to be able to speed up or slow down the arpeggio, changing from 16th to 8th to quarter to half to whole notes as needed. simply changing the gate time doesn't change the fact that the arpeggiator always triggers 16th notes - it just holds them for a longer/shorter period of time.

I'll reexamine the manual when I get home, and try switching the arp controls again - maybe i did something wrong last time I tried that. (like the time i thought timeslice was broken and it turned out i just wasnt saving the sample correctly :facepalm:)

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:28 am

staticwarp wrote:I just need to be able to speed up or slow down the arpeggio, changing from 16th to 8th to quarter to half to whole notes as needed.
Good try, but that´s not possible....

Actually, I hesitate calling it "arppegiator". "Note repeater" maybe....?
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:47 am

staticwarp wrote:Thanks, but that's not really what I'm talking about, and I keep the manual open when i'm using my esx. I don't need to simply reverse the functions of the slider and ribbon (i've tried, it wasn't all that different from the stock setting), but to change the rate of the arpeggio when it's triggered. it was probably a bit misleading for me to mention quantization in my first post, as quantization is fine with me. I just need to be able to speed up or slow down the arpeggio, changing from 16th to 8th to quarter to half to whole notes as needed. simply changing the gate time doesn't change the fact that the arpeggiator always triggers 16th notes - it just holds them for a longer/shorter period of time.

I'll reexamine the manual when I get home, and try switching the arp controls again - maybe i did something wrong last time I tried that. (like the time i thought timeslice was broken and it turned out i just wasnt saving the sample correctly :facepalm:)
So, you need to switch between 16th to 8th notes during the course of one pattern?

You can't do that with the pad (that I know of), but you can certainly fake it with creative sampling and simply using the step pad keys.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

staticwarp

Post by staticwarp » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:28 am

balma: yep, it's impossible. note repeater is more like it! lol

Tallow: you're quite right - that's what i've been doing thus far. I was hoping there was an easier way, but I'll just have to get creative with it, as you say. :)

thanks guys