Roland JX-8P Output Problem (An easy fix?)

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
an0va

Roland JX-8P Output Problem (An easy fix?)

Post by an0va » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:49 am

Hello all,

Hitting my head against a wall here. I just bought a JX-8P and while testing it out in person through monitors everything sounded fine, however bring it into the home studio is opening up a whole new set of problems.

Mainly, the outputs are bad. Both L and R are extremely weak in signal and clip at nearly any velocity and volume setting. Messing with the Output switch does nothing to aid either but distort like crazy during the switch. Here's an unaltered, raw (not normalized) audio example of these outs. I had to put the Output switch on H, volume dimed, and input gain to the max on my audio interface to barely get this clip and you can obviously hear the extreme internal clipping: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12252878/test% ... put%29.mp3

However, plugging into the phones out produces a much stronger and reliable signal. Here is another raw recording, with the interface input gain at less than one half of the previous recording: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12252878/test% ... out%29.mp3

This seems to be a workaround but surely isn't optimal for me. For one, there is significant noise on every patch, here is an example of it on Patch setting Piano 1. I normalized the recording this time to exaggerate the noise but I assure you, it's loud enough in the mix to be very audible on each patch: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12252878/phone ... reo%29.mp3

This noise also rhythmically fluctuates between L and R channels. It's made even worse when I use a mono cable out of the phones out, where you now only have one annoying rhythmic noise artifact: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12252878/phone ... ono%29.mp3

- - -

So yes, HELP! (please)

I have until Saturday to take it back where I can get a full refund (I paid less than $200 for it), but if this appears to be an easy fix, I might just keep it and see what I can do. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Re: Roland JX-8P Output Problem (An easy fix?)

Post by ryryoftokyo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:16 am

Good news, it's an easy fix. Mine had the same thing going on. First what you should try is messing with the "H M L" output switch in the back. Sometimes it will knock whatever is causing the bad connection loose. For the long run, you should open it up, clean all the switches and traces associated with the output stage. Additionally, you should clean all the sliders. Did that with my JX8P and it works beautifully. Good luck!
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

an0va

Post by an0va » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:00 am

ryryoftokyo wrote:Good news, it's an easy fix. Mine had the same thing going on. First what you should try is messing with the "H M L" output switch in the back. Sometimes it will knock whatever is causing the bad connection loose. For the long run, you should open it up, clean all the switches and traces associated with the output stage. Additionally, you should clean all the sliders. Did that with my JX8P and it works beautifully. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the quick response. That is wonderful news! After messing with the switch a LOT, sometimes they started to give a full signal. It has so be some loose connection in that switch in tandem with maybe something else.

While troubleshooting I also found a sticky key-it will sometimes hold a note ringing or not play at all. It does this about 10% of the time it is hit. Is this also an easy fix?

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:20 am

I've noticed that temperature changes can make my JX8P do that held sound thing for a small amount of time. It usually goes away after a day or two in it's new environment. What you need to remember is that this thing is from the mid-80s, so it's going to be a bit temperamental, but this thing is worth it. It's more than just a famed pad machine...I've gotten some great Moog, DX, and SCI style basses out of it in addition to some strong leads, and neat FX/motifs.

The one thing to be really careful of with your JX is anything involving the keyboard. It has this pain in the a*s after touch strip that if it isn't set back almost PERFECTLY, you will have some keys not working until you re-align it.

My advice is to give it another day to adjust and see what it does from there. Whatever the case, enjoy that big slice of '85!
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

an0va

Post by an0va » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:55 pm

ryryoftokyo wrote:I've noticed that temperature changes can make my JX8P do that held sound thing for a small amount of time. It usually goes away after a day or two in it's new environment. What you need to remember is that this thing is from the mid-80s, so it's going to be a bit temperamental, but this thing is worth it. It's more than just a famed pad machine...I've gotten some great Moog, DX, and SCI style basses out of it in addition to some strong leads, and neat FX/motifs.

The one thing to be really careful of with your JX is anything involving the keyboard. It has this pain in the a*s after touch strip that if it isn't set back almost PERFECTLY, you will have some keys not working until you re-align it.

My advice is to give it another day to adjust and see what it does from there. Whatever the case, enjoy that big slice of '85!

Thank you so much. I ended up telling the seller that I want to keep it and I'm going to do my own fixes.

If anyone else has any further input or suggestions, please let me know!

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:32 pm

ryryoftokyo wrote:Good news, it's an easy fix. Mine had the same thing going on. First what you should try is messing with the "H M L" output switch in the back. Sometimes it will knock whatever is causing the bad connection loose. For the long run, you should open it up, clean all the switches and traces associated with the output stage. Additionally, you should clean all the sliders. Did that with my JX8P and it works beautifully. Good luck!
did this fix 'value jumping' on the value knob? i reach '60' a third of the way up the dial. these faders seem uber sketchy and the only other person i know who has one agrees that his are touchy too.

Ive found the JX8P's volume to be pretty crappy personally. the internal VCA/DAC clips at VCA level settings higher than ~80. i personall pull that and the master down a little bit and run it thru a tube pre with 20dB of gain, at least.

an0va

Post by an0va » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:19 pm

This worked!!! Thank you so much!

Now, there's just the problem of one key sometimes not triggering/remaining triggered until a second press...

db0451

Post by db0451 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:57 pm

Whoa! What did any of us ever do before search engines? :D
an0va wrote:
ryryoftokyo wrote:Good news, it's an easy fix. Mine had the same thing going on. First what you should try is messing with the "H M L" output switch in the back. Sometimes it will knock whatever is causing the bad connection loose.
This worked!!! Thank you so much!
I thought my MKS-30 was fried, due to the volume being almost nonexistent, but this same method seems to have fixed it! So, yeah, thanks a tonne, ry! :mrgreen:

Rbh
Gear: Kurz-MidiBoard/ K2000R/Ax module -Roland JV1080 -Arp PRO DGX- Moog Taurus I - Oberheim TVS - Wavestation - QS8.1 - TX7-R8M-Hammond X5 w/ 760 Leslie-

Post by Rbh » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:15 pm

The sticky key is pretty common for a board that age. If I were you - I'd dig into the keyboard and give it a thorough recondition. That means every key -clean them / lube them. It takes a little time, but a few hours labor can give that keybed another 20 years. I think you got a great deal for 200.00.