Korg Polysix Arpeggiator

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, VP-330, Prophet 600, Pro-One, CS-30, Polysix, MonoPoly, MaxiKorg, Opus 3, Machinedrum
Band: Lunar Modular

Korg Polysix Arpeggiator

Post by syntheticsolutions » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:23 pm

Does anyone know why the Korg Polysix Arpeggiator still allows notes/keys to be played when the arp is used in latch mode? e.g. if the arp is playing along to itself on 1/4 notes and I engage another chord on the keyboard on an 1/8th or 1/16th note, the notes are audible on the 1/8th or 1/16th note when engaged.

I hope I am explaining this clearly enough. Juno users will know what I mean, the Juno only engages the chord/note pressed on the next arpeggiator trigger or note however the polysix plays the chord/note immediately when depressed.

Is this just the way the Polysix was designed or is there a way to use it in the same way as the Juno series?
Last edited by syntheticsolutions on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.

psygoat

Re: Korg Polysix Arpeggiator

Post by psygoat » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:56 pm

It's the way it's designed.

syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, VP-330, Prophet 600, Pro-One, CS-30, Polysix, MonoPoly, MaxiKorg, Opus 3, Machinedrum

Post by syntheticsolutions » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:20 pm

psygoat wrote:It's the way it's designed.
That is a disappointment :/
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.

polyjuno
Gear: Bass Station 2
Juno-6
Roland TR-606, Yamaha RX11
Fender Telecaster

Post by polyjuno » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:16 pm

It works the same way on my Akai AX-60. Very irritating indeed. :/ Makes me appreciate the Juno arpeggiator.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:52 pm

This is one big reason I miss my J6 and am looking for a Juno 60 as I write!

The polysix arp is cool but it doesn't have the same robust playability as the Juno 6/60, nor the punch/attack speed to really use it in super fast 16th note bass sequences, but the juno seemed perfect for it. Was almost an instrument in it's own right in triggered arp + drummachine 'mode' :)

syntheticsolutions

Post by syntheticsolutions » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:38 am

Pro5 wrote: The polysix arp is cool but it doesn't have the same robust playability as the Juno 6/60, nor the punch/attack speed to really use it in super fast 16th note bass sequences.
I agree that the playability is no where near as user friendly as the Juno arpeggiator, however I have been using the Polysix for 16th note bass sequences and you can get some really nice, fat tones out of it. I generally add a little attack to the envelope to somewhat soften out the sound, as you say, the Polysix is not great at sharp, attacky sounds however it can give some really nice 'softer' basses.

Sawtooth, no effects, sub OSC 1 oct down and loads of ENV to VCF = :D

I really do love the Polysix though. It screams out 80's Analogue VCO synth :)

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:10 pm

On the topic of disappointing arpeggiators, I can say that the JP-8080 arpeggiator is screwy.

With "hold" on, changing notes will not restart the pattern. This has the nasty side effect of causing octave basslines to flip upside-down, and big multi-octave runs to not sound as expected. Also, the random mode is "optimized" so that it doesn't play the same note twice in a row, unlike on the Jupiter-8.
Roland Jupiter-8 / SH-101 / RS-09 / Kiwi-30 / JD-990 | Oberheim OB-8 | Moog Matriarch | Korg MS-20 Kit / ARP Odyssey FSQ | Yamaha TX7 / DX100 | Waldorf Microwave 1 | Ensoniq Mirage / SQ-80 | Elektron Analog RYTM

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:43 pm

The polysix arp though does work all the way up the range and beyond unlike the j60 which acts a bit weird on the top octaves!

Sound wise I'll always prefer the polysix's basic tone/filter though :D

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:22 pm

I like the "smarter" ARPs on recent synths. Like the Motif XF, I can choose if I want the arp to change note pattern immediately or play the current pattern complete before changing. Makes for smoother note pattern changes. Is that how the J60 arp works too? There is also a mode where it plays the current pattern complete while playing the new note pattern at the same time, sounds quite nice.